This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Inverted pike pull

Started by Leigh Kettle, January 25, 2018 · 21 Replies · 309 Views

Leigh Kettle

Hey guys

wonder if I could get a little help regarding the inverted pike pull

this move is very taxing for me and it doesn’t really feel that I’m making much progress with it. (I’m on the same rung as I always have been and don’t seem to be getting any deeper) 

I always get an intense sensation in the backs of my knees and not really a nice stretching sensation - just that it’s feeling really tough

my question is should I persevere with this and hope that in time I get better (I’ve been doing it a good 6 months or so) or for now would I be better off substituting this for another exercise that may increase my pike/compression depth and in turn help me when I return to the inverted pike pull

many thanks

leigh 

Étienne Lajeunesse

Hey Leigh,

Sometimes, when muscles don't want to relax, there's maybe some stabilization imbalances that could cause that.  For your hamstrings, look to strengthen your hips.  I felt exactly what you feel and it was the problem.

If that is not the cause, try stretching  lightly for some time at least to give your hamstrings a rest! :)

Alessandro Mainente
15 hours ago, Leigh Kettle said:

Hey guys

wonder if I could get a little help regarding the inverted pike pull

this move is very taxing for me and it doesn’t really feel that I’m making much progress with it. (I’m on the same rung as I always have been and don’t seem to be getting any deeper) 

I always get an intense sensation in the backs of my knees and not really a nice stretching sensation - just that it’s feeling really tough

my question is should I persevere with this and hope that in time I get better (I’ve been doing it a good 6 months or so) or for now would I be better off substituting this for another exercise that may increase my pike/compression depth and in turn help me when I return to the inverted pike pull

many thanks

leigh 

Hi Leight a little alternative it is to bend a bit your knees and with the time try to extend them.

Ryan Bailey

Hi Leigh,

Also plantarflexing at the ankle (just a little bit, at the bottom of the stretch) softens the strain at the calf where its proximal attachments cross the knee joint. 

 

Leigh Kettle

Thanks guys that’s brilliant thank you 

Leigh Kettle

Hey guys made significant progress here thanks to all your help once again

first pic was 24 September 2017

2nd pic tonight 

 

 

 

 

ACDFC46B-55CF-4FA7-B68F-E6F67620358F.jpeg

17F1F7AB-8F80-4AAC-B7C1-14D66142EDDF.jpeg

Alessandro Mainente

Nice work, aim for horizontal legs!!

Leigh Kettle
4 minutes ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

Nice work, aim for horizontal legs!!

Ok give me another week ..lololol

yes Alex, thank you... much work to Do I know 

Leigh Kettle

@Alessandro Mainente Alex in terms of mastery of this iM what do I need to achieve ... horizonal legs, although would be amazing , are not shown on the tip video 

Alessandro Mainente

For the mastery, 10-15 cm under the hands level is ok but with something like 2-3 poles in between hands and feet.

Leigh Kettle

I’m getting closer Alex :) @Alessandro Mainente

manageing to get the 2/3 poles between feet and hands as you suggested . Just need to get that bit lower next 

will keep working but sooooo different to where I started 

Many  thanks

leigh 

 

A37C7191-69A1-4C24-A6B8-EDF2EBE6620C.jpeg

Jeffrey Bittner

Great progress, Leigh!

Alessandro Mainente

very nice!

Petra Dvorak

great job Leigh, this is such a brutal exercise!

Leigh Kettle
55 minutes ago, Petra Dvorak said:

great job Leigh, this is such a brutal exercise!

Thank you Petra .It really is ... it never feels easier but progress is definitely happening 

Leigh Kettle
1 hour ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

very nice!

Thanks Alex .

Benjamin Nutt
20 hours ago, Leigh Kettle said:

I’m getting closer Alex :) @Alessandro Mainente

manageing to get the 2/3 poles between feet and hands as you suggested . Just need to get that bit lower next 

will keep working but sooooo different to where I started 

Many  thanks

leigh 

 

A37C7191-69A1-4C24-A6B8-EDF2EBE6620C.jpeg

First of all, GREAT progress!

Wondering: I see that your foot position on the bar is between the heel and the ball. I usually put the ball of my feet on the bar and lean from there. @Alessandro Mainente, is @Leigh Kettle's foot placement the correct one? Hope I haven't been doing it wrong all this time :(

Alessandro Mainente

If you support the feet on the heel and under the fingers you will have more deeper stretch on the calves.

Leigh Kettle
On 17/05/2018 at 6:53 PM, Benjamin Nutt said:

First of all, GREAT progress!

Wondering: I see that your foot position on the bar is between the heel and the ball. I usually put the ball of my feet on the bar and lean from there. @Alessandro Mainente, is @Leigh Kettle's foot placement the correct one? Hope I haven't been doing it wrong all this time :(

Hey Benjamin - thank you for the kind words

interesting about the foot position - I’ll be honest I never gave it a thought when I started I just climbed on to the stall bars lol ... I think whatever is comfortable would be ok but I’ll leave  the experts to clarify   

 

Leigh Kettle

Hey @Alessandro Mainente

Made some more progress in my compression and lowering of the hips since I last posted 

Am I ok to chalk off this mobility as mastery yet or you want more from me ...  :lol:

all the best 

leigh

 

6687149A-32F5-4EFB-8537-62BE990D3E58.jpeg

Mark Chin

Well that pretty darn inspirational. What a thread to see some awesome progress! Way to go, Leigh!

Leigh Kettle

Thanks mark appreciate your words 

all the best 

Leigh