This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Accessory Exercises for Foundation - Upper Body?

Started by Timothy Midgley, January 24, 2018 · 7 Replies · 323 Views

Timothy Midgley

Hello, first post here! Tried doing a proper search to avoid a repeat topic so pls let me know if this has been address elsewhere.

I've been working through the Foundation One (Upper, Lower, Core) for several months and making progress. However, I seem to be stuck on both pushup (HBP PE2) and Ground Rows (RC PE2).  I cannot get through the four sets of each without short rests.  Any recommendations on what I may want to consider supplementing during the week to get past these levels?

 

Alessandro Mainente

HI Timothy, well are you using the "once a week" schedule?

Mikey Cunanan

Hey Tim,

These two progressions may seem "easy" because the exercises are basic. However, don't let the simplicity fool you. These two are amongst some of the more challenging progressions in terms of muscular endurance. It's not uncommon to spend the better part of several months working towards mastery on both these exercises.

My suggestion would be to lowering down a step or two and consider working push-ups and ground rows into your workout routine at least 2x per week. Build up slowly from there. 

Timothy Midgley
On 1/24/2018 at 2:45 PM, Alessandro Mainente said:

HI Timothy, well are you using the "once a week" schedule?

Yes, I do core, upper, and lower once per week. Do you suggest doing the upper more than once per week? I do other strength and endurance training so was trying not to overdo things. 

Timothy Midgley
On 1/24/2018 at 4:38 PM, Mikey Cunanan said:

Hey Tim,

These two progressions may seem "easy" because the exercises are basic. However, don't let the simplicity fool you. These two are amongst some of the more challenging progressions in terms of muscular endurance. It's not uncommon to spend the better part of several months working towards mastery on both these exercises.

My suggestion would be to lowering down a step or two and consider working push-ups and ground rows into your workout routine at least 2x per week. Build up slowly from there. 

Thanks Mikey- seems in line with the suggestion from Alessandro as well.  Will try this and update you guys in the near future.  Thanks for the suggestions and support!

Alessandro Mainente
20 minutes ago, Timothy Midgley said:

Yes, I do core, upper, and lower once per week. Do you suggest doing the upper more than once per week? I do other strength and endurance training so was trying not to overdo things. 

Yes, try adding one day more ONLY for the exercise where you need to overcome a stall point.

Adam Ross

Hey Tim, I'm very much in the same spot - finally got past push ups but have been stuck on 9 reps of ground rows for almost 6 months. I'm trialling several sessions a week, so would be keen to know how you're progressing over the next month or so.

Josh Earl

One thing I’m experimenting with on ground rows is raising the ring height slightly, mastering a step at that level then lowering down a couple more inches. 

I think what’s happening in cases where you’re stuck is that you’re improving, but it’s hard to see the increments.

I’ve been working on 4x6r for a long time. I’d fail on the very last rep.

When I raised the rings slightly, the first week I still failed on the last rep. The next week I *almost* hit it, and the third week I nailed it. 

If the rings had been lower I wouldn’t have noticed this small but steady progress.

It’s very hard to notice the difference between failing 60% of the way through the last rep, and failing 80% of the way through.