This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Can not even get into Bent arm half straddle planche hold.

Started by Stefan Panzilius, January 22, 2018 · 21 Replies · 870 Views

Stefan Panzilius

I am at SPL SE1 and I am able to do the frog stand, and hold it well.  While I am not ready to progress, my times are getting better.  The mobility work of the bent arm half straddle planche hold is another story.  I can not even get into the hold to start a timer.  I need a suggestion or two for scaling this.  Thank you all for your time. 

 

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Stefan, use 2 elevated surfaces to perform the tuck bent arm planche then build up 15-20'', then slowly extend the legs and the hips.

John Kiggundu
On January 22, 2018 at 4:24 PM, Alessandro Mainente said:

Hi Stefan, use 2 elevated surfaces to perform the tuck bent arm planche then build up 15-20'', then slowly extend the legs and the hips.

@Alessandro Mainente nice cue. I'll use this as a training tool. I :evil: training that iM and I'll try this to build my time in the position so that with time 10 seconds might feel "easy."

Michael Stanwyck

Same issue here. What is the tuck bent arm planche? Guessing it's something like the tuck planche a little further along in the frog stand progression?

 

FYI, I've been putting 2 large rubber bands on a pull up bar and use them to hook my toes. That helps keep me up,  but I definitely feel like I'm not developing the strength I need to complete this 

Alessandro Mainente

the bent arm tuck planche it is a tuck planche with bent arms nothing more, elbows bent the necessary to reach th upper body at wrists level.

Nick Murray
On 23/01/2018 at 8:24 AM, Alessandro Mainente said:

Hi Stefan, use 2 elevated surfaces to perform the tuck bent arm planche then build up 15-20'', then slowly extend the legs and the hips.

Strength is half of this movement; the other half is the ability to enter the position from a squat, or from a bent-leg straddle, and then balance as you straighten the knee.

I've found that if you let your elbows bend more than 90 degrees, this element (the mobility) is a lot harder. Keep your chest away from the floor as much/strongly as possible.

Michael Stanwyck
On 1/22/2018 at 1:24 PM, Alessandro Mainente said:

Hi Stefan, use 2 elevated surfaces to perform the tuck bent arm planche then build up 15-20'', then slowly extend the legs and the hips.

are these surfaces under your knees? I can't really picture what you mean by this. Forgive me, I'm totally new to this.

Alessandro Mainente

no they are under your hands because if you perform it on the floor you touch the floor. IF YOU HAVE CORRECTLY mastered the PPP from HBP course you should be already able to hold the bent arm tuck planche.

Michael Stanwyck

I can do the pseudo planche push up from the Hollow Back Press (HBP/PE3 in Foundation 1) but I can't see how that's related to the bent arm tuck planche. I'm looking at my course library at the Hollow Back Press and I don't see anything like the bent arm tuck planche in the exercises or mobility.

With the elevated surfaces, are you suggesting that we perform the tuck bent arm planche with hands on elevated surfaces (maybe two boxes or stacks of weights?)? When you say build up to 15-20" are you referring to the height of the elevated surface?

Alessandro Mainente

If the PPP is executed with less lean compared to the required, probably you do not have enough pushing strength in the bottom of the exercise which basically has the same angles of the bent arm planches.

The bent arm tuck planche is not presented on the course for the reason posted above and it can be integrated for people who have particularly big legs and still struggle also if they have correctly mastered the PPT.

15-20'' is the number of seconds that you have to reach on the bent arm tuck planche before moving to the following variation which can be the open bent arm tuck planche. and with the time you can try to extend the hips up to the bent arms half straddle position.

2 boxes are better for sure.

said all the previous point I am now interested in your PPP, can you show me your execution?

Michael Stanwyck

Sure. How can I show you? I tried to post it here but it doesn't accept videos

Alessandro Mainente

Upload a video on youtube, set it on "unlisted" then past here the link.

George Chung

Here's me doing one (with shocking form) on parallettes (elevated surface). The tuck planche (as a progression) is when your knees are between your arms. You have to be on an elevated surface to have space for your knees being tucked underneath your body.

 

Alessandro Mainente

Not bad at all GEORGE, BUT your variation is harder because if you do not extend the hips completely the leverage is higher. look at the photo below.

leverage.png

Antonio Alías Montoya
38 minutes ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

Not bad at all GEORGE, BUT your variation is harder because if you do not extend the hips completely the leverage is higher. look at the photo below.

leverage.png

I was wondering where do you take all this pictures from!  Do you create them yourself? Do they have a name? :P·

Alessandro Mainente

ahahahha they are simply horrible design!!

Keilani Gutierrez

Alessandro's drawings always remind me of XKCD. :P

Michael Stanwyck

Ok, so I get the bent arm tuck planche. I can do those for about 10 seconds. Question: I am approaching 5x30s front stand. I will no doubt complete that before even getting 1 second of bent arm half straddle planche hold. Do I stay with sPL1 until I can pass the mob?

Alessandro Mainente

Yes, 10 seconds too less, aim for 20''. the jump of leverage is too high.

Cliff Tang

Hi Alessandro, another question on this:

1. How's the hand placement when performed on boxes? Should the hands be likewise a handstand with the index finger pointing forward (line of power) with the other fingers spread out. Fingers outwards or even facing backwards or would this defeat the purpose for transferring this skill to other complex movement? or should I play around with it: straight, diagonal, backwards, parallettes, at the corner of a box grapping the corner?

2. how close should the elbows be from the body, 45°? and should the torque in the shoulders be appointed to external or internal rotation to maintain the strongest? A lot of discussions in the forum telling that when the shoulder is in extension (like dips, push ups,...arms behind the body) the shoulder should exert an internal rotation torque to be the most strongest to hold the position

I know just trying and experimenting is the answer, but I'm also in this station for around 6 months. I'll try the bent tuck first, because now I really try to maintain the PPT while jumping into it, but it's so frickin' hard to find the balance and NOT to arch in the lower back. It feels parallel (or close to), but if I look back it's more than 45° inverted hahaha

Thank you for listening GB friends!!!

 

 

George Chung
On 2/26/2018 at 4:10 PM, Michael Stanwyck said:

Ok, so I get the bent arm tuck planche. I can do those for about 10 seconds. Question: I am approaching 5x30s front stand. I will no doubt complete that before even getting 1 second of bent arm half straddle planche hold. Do I stay with sPL1 until I can pass the mob?

I've been sneaking ahead with the understanding that I need to ultimately master the mobility. So I did the advanced frog stand and now I'm working on the straight arm tuck planche. But I know I need to eventually master this mobility drill.

Here's my latest attempt. I'm now getting my hips/legs in a somewhat better position, but I can't seem to control the forward lean.

 

Alessandro Mainente

Hey Cliff, the hands' placement depends on your wrists mobility, nothing specified! for the arms the lean is important, the large the stance the less the lean, elbows close to the body.

For George, nice attempt, your body should be in between the 2 forearms with a straight line from the shoulder to the knees.