This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

HS/PE7 Wall Handstand Check Please

Started by Nigel Pengelly, January 21, 2018 · 9 Replies · 190 Views

Nigel Pengelly

Hi Guys,

 

I have read most of the form checks and would be grateful for some tips on mine as I work through this progression. Appreciate your help.

 

Thanks, Nigel

 

Alessandro Mainente

Hi NIgel Can I ask you to post the shoulder flexion (IM1 ) and the extension (IM1) plus PE5?

Nigel Pengelly

Hi Alessandro,

I posted the below video about 6 weeks ago of my shoulder dislocates. Let me know if this is good enough or you need to see the back properly.

 

Will video the flexion and extension tomorrow. 

 

Thanks, Nigel

 

 

 

Alessandro Mainente

I asked the IM1 and IM2 because seems that your shoulder flexion it is not enough in the handstand.

Nigel Pengelly

Hi Alessandro,

 

Here are the videos you asked for. Should Flexion and Extension (with a 5lb weight).

 

 

Look forward to your feedback.

 

Kind Regards, Nigel

 

 

Alessandro Mainente

HI Nigel, my suggestion follows:

-the shoulder flexion must be revisited due to some reasons which i'm going to explain now. FIRST, you are beginning the dislocate which it is not required and it is basically an error. Pure shoulder flexion it is needed so that the hips, shoulder, and hands are in the same line. Also the grip it is too wide. approximately shoulder width it is required.

-the shoulder extension must be corrected: first, the grip is approximately double the shoulder distance while the requirement it is for approximately shoulder width. second: you tend to tilt the shoulder and the head forward which is a typical compensation in case of lack of mobility range of motion. third arms position is not symmetric, this means that a step back is necessary.

I always suggest asking for a review before moving on because now it is much more frustrating make a step back.

Nigel Pengelly

Hi Alessandro, thanks for looking at that. Considering that the Flexion and Extension both need to be revisited and they are IM1 and IM2 are you saying i should start HS again? Or shall i just send extra sessions catching the mobility requirements up to the PE's?

Alessandro Mainente

Actually the work on your wall handstand it is not really useful, if you learn to hold the a closed shoulder handstand then you will have to restart again in the nearly future. 

I want to say that with my client if I meet this situation, I ask them to step back and restart.

 A natural question comes to my mind, have you ever asked for a form check of the handstand course?

Nigel Pengelly

So restart from the beginning? As in go back 9 months? Ouch. The pitfalls on distance learning I suppose. :(

 

I posted some form checks earlier, yes (dislocates). But not at every stage of the PE and iM.

Leo Trinidad

Hi @Nigel Pengelly,

Restarting back means refining. You win because, you get stronger, better mobility, better form, better outlook towards training, better everything. Remember, if you really have "mastered" the previous progressions then going back means super easy. (test the mastery set and if your form is good then move on or otherwise go back to a step that you can maintain good form and start from there) I hope this helps.