This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Question/observation on stretch series

Started by Fiona Silk, January 20, 2018 · 11 Replies · 324 Views

Fiona Silk

Hi everyone,

I've been doing the stretch series (all three of them) for about a month now (I have done each one exactly four times). I wanted to check whether this is a correct assumption about my on-going stretching and progress:

Is it the case that as I get more strong and flexible, and the positions become easier, that I should aim to put more strength into them, in order to get more flexibility?

So for example, I would be tensing my legs more in straddle, gripping the ground harder on the penultimate MS hold, pointing my toes harder, pushing down harder on butterfly etc. etc.? Not to a ridiculous level, just in terms of getting stronger within each movement.

Is that a correct assumption?

Thanks for your help.

Fi

Alessandro Mainente

HI Fiona, in the most poses you need to relax and breath deeply, take a photo from the side in order to understand if your range of motion improves, try to feel how much tension you have in one angle from week to week.

Fiona Silk

But surely in many stretches, there is a required degree of muscle tension. For example being in straddle and pointing the toes, or pushing the chest over the hands in bridge, or pushing the knees back in pike folds. So what I'm asking is whether we should be aiming to make that strength element - the pushing, the tensing, the pointing etc. - stronger over time, as we get more flexible?

Étienne Lajeunesse

Hi Fiona,

You always want to push hard enough to create changes.  So, point your toes, squeeze your core, lock your knees and elbows as much as you can to stay in perfect form, no matter where you are.

The only time when you'll get to push further is when you'll get stronger and more flexible!

Hope it helps :)

Suzanna McGee

@Fiona Silk, I feel like when we get more flexible, we need less "force" to push, as we have less resistance from the stretched out muscle. I can now relax much more into the stretches, because I am more flexible and there is less "fight" from the muscles… Not sure if I am answering the question how you wanted, but that is my observation. 

Mark Chin
10 hours ago, Suzanna McGee said:

@Fiona Silk, I feel like when we get more flexible, we need less "force" to push, as we have less resistance from the stretched out muscle. I can now relax much more into the stretches, because I am more flexible and there is less "fight" from the muscles… Not sure if I am answering the question how you wanted, but that is my observation. 

I agree with this. For example, when I started elevated seiza, I could not make it through the 2 minutes and it felt basically like an abs and shoulder exercise. This was because the lack of flexibility. Now it is much less effort, 2 minutes no problem and I feel the stretch where I should. But without putting in all the work and effort, I would never have gotten there! 

Étienne Lajeunesse

@Suzanna McGee @Mark Chin

Good morning! I agree that it becomes easier and need less "push" like you say Suzanna.  But it doesn't mean you have to let go of your articular tension.  Even if you're flexible as hell, keep everything squeezed to let the main muscles relax. :)

Suzanna McGee
10 hours ago, Étienne Lajeunesse said:

But it doesn't mean you have to let go of your articular tension.  Even if you're flexible as hell, keep everything squeezed to let the main muscles relax. :)

Of course not… we still keep doing what Coach is cuing us ("squeeze the quads", "glutes", do this do that…). But it's easier to relax in into the stretch and less force is needed when squeezing those antagonist. 

Fiona Silk

Awesome - thanks guys - that sums it all up! Especially what @Suzanna McGee said about fighting against the strength. 

And yes, @Mark Chin! That is where I am with quite a few of the stretches, including elevated seiza. That one is a nightmare - there is very little movement in my feet, and a big fight just to stay in the stretch. But I am just trusting the process and keeping going and eventually it will all get better (not least as it can't get any worse!).

Étienne Lajeunesse
4 hours ago, Fiona Silk said:

That is where I am with quite a few of the stretches, including elevated seiza. That one is a nightmare - there is very little movement in my feet, and a big fight just to stay in the stretch. But I am just trusting the process and keeping going and eventually it will all get better (not least as it can't get any worse!).

Hey Fiona, do you foam roll before doing your stretch series?  Doing so will make everything a bit less tight and maybe you could stay longer on your seiza :)

Fiona Silk
20 hours ago, Étienne Lajeunesse said:

Hey Fiona, do you foam roll before doing your stretch series?  Doing so will make everything a bit less tight and maybe you could stay longer on your seiza :)

No, I don't. I just start from cold. That's a good idea. My feet, ankles and achilles are particularly tight (calves are getting a bit better thanks to intensive stretching of them to get rid of Plantar fascitis) - do you think rolling under the foot with a ball could help? Any other suggestions would be great. It's the top of my feet and my ankles that seem like the bits that are mostly made of concrete!

Étienne Lajeunesse
20 minutes ago, Fiona Silk said:

No, I don't. I just start from cold. That's a good idea. My feet, ankles and achilles are particularly tight (calves are getting a bit better thanks to intensive stretching of them to get rid of Plantar fascitis) - do you think rolling under the foot with a ball could help? Any other suggestions would be great. It's the top of my feet and my ankles that seem like the bits that are mostly made of concrete!

Under the foot, anterior tibialis, calves (soleus, gastroc)... There are many points where you can play around the ankle.  Take 2-5 minutes per ankle and try to stay longer on the stiffer knots.