Back full

Started by dlsso, April 1, 2010 · 2 Replies · 2,674 Views

dlsso

I am having trouble locating tutorials for a full twisting back layout. This is all I was able to find:

O7vyUebVxMA

So a couple questions:

1. Given that I am not actually competing in gymnastics, do you think this method would suffice?

2. Would the gymnastic method offer significant advantage in spin speed or control?

3. If you believe the gymnastic method would be worth learning for me I would really appreciate it if you know of any tutorials or could explain it step by step for me.

Thanks!

Blairbob

This method and his method of torqueing causes him to flip not nearly even close to a straight axis. Yes, you can twist multiples easier this way but in gymnastics, we'd just consider this sloppy. As well, this means you either land a bit funny to one side or have to correct that before landing. The author throws his head and still has a whippy layout. It's more of an arched layout but it's better than many layouts where they arch and pike.

So the gymnastics method is about control. There is actually a few different methods of twisting the author didn't cover besides the elbows in spin. You could set wide and drop one arm, then the other or pull in with the elbows in or to towards one side besides the diver twist where one arm goes above the ahead and one elbow drives and wraps.

There is a drill of George Hery, on the GymnasticsMinute on Youtube where he shows a 1/2 layout by performing a layout with one arm already extended. Looks very promising.

So you can try George's drill or you can try the bounce layout and 1/2 turn hop after you land.

Another drill is 3/4 layout to stomach, bounce 1/2 turn to whatever direction.

Another drill is back drop 1/2 turn to stomatch, 1/1, etc. You can either do a back drop that travels forward or a traditional backdrop that doesn't travel or travels slightly backward.

dlsso

Thanks very much, fantastically helpful! I may be back with more questions, but I will look up the stuff you said and maybe try stuff out first. :)