This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Middle split wall hold question

Started by Leigh Kettle, January 16, 2018 · 11 Replies · 192 Views

Leigh Kettle

Hey guys hope you all well

is it acceptable during the wall hold to actively pull down on the knees like in the picture I’ve attached . I’ve recently added weights to my ankles but I feel I spend more effort and energy trying to maintain my feet barely off the wall than trying to pull them down . By me using my arms to pull down I feel more of a stretch . Is this ok? 

Leigh

F860E11B-7DC6-4E4A-BFED-6B18E30DD4C6.jpeg

Étienne Lajeunesse

Hey Leigh,

I used to do that, but one of the coaches told me to let the stretch do its job.  Depending on the weight you put on your ankles, it could do the work!

Leigh Kettle

Thanks etienne

like I say I feel more fatigue in the core when doing this as the stress of holding Barely off the wall causes a strong hold in the core for me . 

Ok I will persist as I was doing then and eliminate the pull with the arms 

thanks again 

Leigh 

Étienne Lajeunesse
13 minutes ago, Leigh Kettle said:

Thanks etienne

like I say I feel more fatigue in the core when doing this as the stress of holding Barely off the wall causes a strong hold in the core for me . 

Ok I will persist as I was doing then and eliminate the pull with the arms 

thanks again 

Leigh 

I'll let the coaches confirm it, but I think you can keep the feet on the wall for the hold.  That's what I do anyway.

Jennifer Marie

I'm curious about the off the wall part, too. I thought it was only for the ten pulses before the hold, but I may be doing it wrong. I just memorize the movements and don't listen to the video any more... I'd rather listen to the football games while I stretch this time of year. :-)

I will say that I tend to use my hands to pull my legs into a good stretch for the set up, but then let gravity (and the ankle weights) do the work from there.

 

Leigh Kettle

Interesting

I find if I put my feet on the wall for the hold it stops gravity taking over due to the friction of my  feet on the wall as my natural compression strength (or lack of it)causes quite a bit of force against the wall

leigh

Jeffrey Bittner

Hey Leigh,

You can leave your feet on the wall during your static stretch to keep the abs from cramping up. Maybe throw some socks on to help your feet slide more easily.

Leigh Kettle

Thanks jeffrey

2 hours ago, Jeffrey Bittner said:

Hey Leigh,

You can leave your feet on the wall during your static stretch to keep the abs from cramping up. Maybe throw some socks on to help your feet slide more easily.

is this preferable to me pulling down with the hands then ?

thanks again 

leigh 

Jeffrey Bittner

You can use your hands to get into position, but like Etienne said, let gravity do the work during your hold.

Alessandro Mainente

Guys remember that it is a weighted stretch induced by legs itself, pushing the legs down with the hips muscles moves the arrow to the active stretch which is not the primary goal.

Suzanna McGee

Leigh, try to use your glutes to pull your legs lower down… once I figured out how to connect with my glutes, I could add another inch or who knows how much  :-) 

Leigh Kettle

Thanks Suzanna will def try this then