This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Added value of deck squats?

Started by Michaël Van den Berg, January 15, 2018 · 3 Replies · 195 Views

Michaël Van den Berg

Just a quick question - I understand how deck squats (and specifically, the progression towards being able to do them) are beneficial for those who lack the mobility to comfortably perform full squats. But is there another reason why these are included in the SLS programming? I can easily squat (even with my feet and knees completely together/touching) so the main thing I get from deck squats is the dynamic work.

Alessandro Mainente

Hi MIchael, they are included here simply because it is impossible to know if someone has hips restrictions and for this reason course must work like everyone has hips restriction. When you build up a program for the world wide fitness enthusiast you need to produce something for the worst possibility. IN the most average of the cases the hips limitations are something pretty common.

Michaël Van den Berg

Hi Alessandro, thank you. I understand why the deck squats are included but I was wondering if they were only designed for mobility work, or perhaps also for other benefits. But I guess the other benefits are just a nice bonus :)

Étienne Lajeunesse
3 hours ago, Michaël Van den Berg said:

Hi Alessandro, thank you. I understand why the deck squats are included but I was wondering if they were only designed for mobility work, or perhaps also for other benefits. But I guess the other benefits are just a nice bonus :)

Hey Michael,

Well, some people will struggle to get up in this one.  It's the first element without space between feet.  So, as it includes mobility, we can also gain strength in the ROM it requires to master (deep squat w/knees together). And, at the end it's easier to roll than make it concentric.  Believe me ;)