This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

doing higher progressions that one is capable

Started by Michael Vetter, January 11, 2018 · 5 Replies · 162 Views

Michael Vetter

In the climbing gym where I train there are many people who come, try a planche and go.

Those people just come to play a little with the exercises, which I guess is okay.

 

But there are also people who, for example, cannot do 10 nice push ups, but then start doing push ups on the rings (rings with a balance aspect because right/left ring you also have to control the height).

Although the push ups give them enough to work on already they prefer to use the harder variant, my guess is that they think its cooler or looks more professional, or that they think: the harder the better.

 

Today I thought, apart from having a higher risk of injury, are there any disadvantages of doing higher progressions/variants of exercises?

Lets say there is a person who now continuously trains these ring push ups over weeks, for some reason does not get injured, and improves form. Is the increase in strength higher than if he would have started with normal push ups? Then worked his way up? My guess is that it maybe even takes longer, but I do not know it. Do you guys? :)

Thomas Hanssen

Hi. I dont see how he should get stronger because he does poor form ring push ups over normal ones. Unless he leans forward. The weight he lifts is still the same, which means the strain put on the muscle is somewhat the same... which would equal same effect or?

But many factors come in play

If his form gets better, and no injuries he may get stronger in the bottom position, since rings allow you to go deeper. And there is also the stabilization aspect of the rings. Which therefore means you would have to move slower, which means longer time under tension, and you get a higher dosage of work put on the muscles...More stress equals more gains bla bla.... And the front deltoids would probably get more work. 

So if his form gets better maybe, otherwise he maybe just getting slightly better of doing poor ring push ups. I see these guys at my gym also and they do the same poor push ups year after year:)

Luke Searra

Michael,

I see this mentality of wanting to go straight for the glamourous strength movements without adequate preparation all the time. Usually, it's just ignorance and a fundamental misunderstanding of the longest term, most reward bearing, and safest way to approach bodyweight strength and leverage based training. In this case, the athlete should absolutely be able to do full pushups without rings before even attempting ring pushups.

After they can do full pushups they should be able to do static (top of the pushup position supports with turned out hands).

Only then would I recommend going to ring pushups with turnout only (anything else is immature gymnastics and actually not functional movement).

Getting stronger without proper form almost always invariably leads to injury. If the point of using the rings is to go deeper only, rather use dumbbells. Don't  fall into the trap of trying think or say that maybe you might not get injured doing more than your body is ready to handle, so maybe why not risk the injury on the off chance you might get stronger prematurely... simply no.

Michael Vetter

Thanks for the replies.

@Luke Searra Thanks. Just to clarify, I don't plan to do this myself, I am not the least bit tempted to.

I learned some nice things from the answers so far, and maybe I should have stated my question a little bit more clear:

To my current understanding doing this higher variation has a high risk of injury because the body is no prepared for it.

What I would like to know now is in the strength aspect, whether there is any higher increase when doing something like this than when doing something the appropriate one. I mean, lets say we start lifting weight and lift 20kg, its already heavy for us and there will be some muscle adaptation because of this. If we would now use 50kg, which we can do, but is very heavy for us, would there be the same muscle adapation or a higher one? Would our strength increase because a higher amount is needed or would it increase the same because it can only increase amount of X.

 

You know what I mean? I just would like to understand this part, without thinking about doing crazy stuff :)

Andrew Long

I have found that a lot of the people who do similar things in my climbing gym, do it because they saw someone on the internet do it or because a vlogger/random person gave them bad advice  (for them) and they are trying to imitate, not understanding that it is a more advanced skill they need to work towards using other means.

Alessandro Mainente

I know about people stealing workout program from the gym of my clients...so I'm surprised about people doing stuff with no idea.