This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Piriformis stretch - formcheck

Started by Petra Kmecová, January 10, 2018 · 8 Replies · 222 Views

Petra Kmecová

Hello everybody, @Alessandro Mainente - hope you don’t mind tagging, since you been helping me with this ...

Here are two angles of piriformis stretch. How does my form look?

Thanks a lot ;-)

 

And for everybody interested ... I was refering to this topic:

Alessandro Mainente

Your leg it is pretty high. IN order to have specific angle work you can move the leg a bit more out instead of holding it in the center of the body,

Antonio Alías Montoya

Hi Petra, sometimes tight hip flexors are a big limitation to feel this strecht. You could try as well a standing variation:

Working on both can be a good idea. Good luck!

Petra Kmecová

Thanks both of you @Alessandro Mainente, @Antonio Alías Montoya.

I’ll play with it a bit and see where I can get the best stretch. 

I forgot to mention, that I sometimes stretch piriformis in what is called 90:90 position, leaning toward my front leg. That seems to be working quite good as well. 

Like in the first position of this picture:

7BCD60C4-786C-44FE-96D3-C6AC64AA0CCB.thumb.png.719542957ae8f922695f08eb05c5618d.png

Étienne Lajeunesse
4 hours ago, Petra Kmecová said:

Thanks both of you @Alessandro Mainente, @Antonio Alías Montoya.

I’ll play with it a bit and see where I can get the best stretch. 

I forgot to mention, that I sometimes stretch piriformis in what is called 90:90 position, leaning toward my front leg. That seems to be working quite good as well. 

Like in the first position of this picture:

7BCD60C4-786C-44FE-96D3-C6AC64AA0CCB.thumb.png.719542957ae8f922695f08eb05c5618d.png

Yeah! I do it too.  The hardest part is to keep the back straight to get the right form.  Make sure it's the case.

Petra Kmecová
6 minutes ago, Étienne Lajeunesse said:

Yeah! I do it too.  The hardest part is to keep the back straight to get the right form.  Make sure it's the case.

Totally!! And much harder for that stiffer leg!!

Alessandro Mainente

Yes Petra you are correct, the 90-90 idea it is a good reference but in the squat variation, you are used to holding the knee more out than the piriformis variation. this is why I've told you to move the legs a bit out from the midline.

Petra Kmecová

THanks @Alessandro Mainente. This 90/90 position I do in warm up, briefly ... 

I’ll do the modification you suggested tommorrow, before my SLS training and in my next MSS.

Petra Kmecová

@Antonio Alías Montoya ... thanks one more time for the youtube video you recommended above. I’ve never came across this ytb channel and there’s lots and lots of great content there.!! Interesting stuff!