This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Elevated Bridge

Started by Thiago Oliveira, January 10, 2018 · 11 Replies · 186 Views

Thiago Oliveira

I’m on my second week of the Thoracic Bridge Series, and I cannot push my shoulders off the ground on the Elevated Bridge.

Someone suggested me to do inverted cat, so I could build up the necessary mobility and strengh.

Today I started the daily inverted cat, and I’m sharing here a clip, to check if I’m doing it the right way.

Any feedback will be really aprecciated! 

68EA5A96-1694-4763-B5CC-4AEEE43B4243.png

Étienne Lajeunesse

Hi Thiago,

A good tip Alessandro gave me was to extend the spine as much as you can and then elevate your shoulders.  You'll feel more the stretch this way.

For the technicallities, I'll let the coaches respond.

Thiago Oliveira
2 hours ago, Étienne Lajeunesse said:

Hi Thiago,

A good tip Alessandro gave me was to extend the spine as much as you can and then elevate your shoulders.  You'll feel more the stretch this way.

For the technicallities, I'll let the coaches respond.

Thank you very much for the tip, Étienne!

Salut!

Mikey Cunanan

Hey @Thiago Oliveira

Try holding the next rung up from where your hands are in the pic. This will help you get your hips lower to better stretch your thoracic spine. Make sure your elbows are completely straight, then slowly lower your hips towards the floor. Imagine your chest and armpits widening as your hips lower down into a deep stretch.

Thiago Oliveira

Thank you very, Mikey!

I tried, as you suggested.

Here it is!

So it’s better to lower the hips first, towards the floor, and then work to lower the arms?

44B9AB03-2323-4D4F-979F-F1DB1C879D91.png

Alessandro Mainente

Hey Thiago, first of all your ball it's too deflated, at the moment it give only a little part of its benefits. Another point it is that your shoulder must be more on the laft part of the ball so that your hips can move lower.

Thiago Oliveira

Yes, Alessandro! I noticed the ball is too soft! 

I will try to follow your instructions, and later I'll post new pictures!

Thank you very much for your reply!

 

Thiago Oliveira
On 10/01/2018 at 8:07 PM, Alessandro Mainente said:

Hey Thiago, first of all your ball it's too deflated, at the moment it give only a little part of its benefits. Another point it is that your shoulder must be more on the laft part of the ball so that your hips can move lower.

Is this better, Alessandro?

B3788C20-93A9-4897-B6D8-6A18D35F42AC.png

Alessandro Mainente

You can move more to the left, your upper back must centered in the ball NOT when you begin the position BUT when you are in position of deeper stretch.

Thiago Oliveira
3 hours ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

You can move more to the left, your upper back must centered in the ball NOT when you begin the position BUT when you are in position of deeper stretch.

https://youtu.be/oQ-d4sRao-E

Today I did my second Thoracic Routine. Here's my Inverted Cat. I tried to stay more to the left of the ball, but I guess I can move a little bit more.

I'm still not able to get my shoulders off the ground for the Elevated Bridge. Here's my failed attempt. I'm curious if my issue is a lack of strength or mobility, or probably both!

IMG_6906.PNG

Étienne Lajeunesse

Hey Thiago,

As you lack thoracic mobility, you sure will fail at this height with your feet. 

Elevate your feet as much as needed to not feel lumbar pain while being in full flexion. 

Afterward, if you don't have the strength to push yourself up, try using a band underneath you to pull you up.  Otherwise, keep pushing until you get to the top!

F1 will help you to build the strength for this one too! :)

Thiago Oliveira

Hi Étienne! Thank you so much for your reply!

I'll keep pushing!