This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

HBP PE2/PE3 shoulder protraction

Started by James McKenzie, January 9, 2018 · 5 Replies · 197 Views

James McKenzie

Hi guys,

The videos for HBP PE2 and PE3 mention keeping the shoulders protracted during the movement. Am I correct in thinking this involves pulling the shoulder blades as far apart as possible and pushing the upper back up towards the ceiling? If not, can you please correct me as I want to make sure I understand this movement.

Also, what is the purpose of keeping the shoulders protracted during a pushup movement?

Thank you

Mikey Cunanan

Hey James,

More or less, protraction is why you are describing. Doing your pressing movements with protraction better engages your shoulder stabilizers while pressing.

In fact, this is the only way to progress the handstand push-up. If that’s a goal of yours.

James McKenzie

Hi Mikey,

Thank you for answering my questions. Much appreciated.

Alessandro Mainente
On 10/1/2018 at 12:49 AM, James McKenzie said:

Hi guys,

The videos for HBP PE2 and PE3 mention keeping the shoulders protracted during the movement. Am I correct in thinking this involves pulling the shoulder blades as far apart as possible and pushing the upper back up towards the ceiling? If not, can you please correct me as I want to make sure I understand this movement.

Also, what is the purpose of keeping the shoulders protracted during a pushup movement?

Thank you

Remember that the necessary protraction ends when you feel the pec minor squeezed. if it happens then the scapulae position it is not at its best to stabilize the upper arm.

Léo Aïtoulha

Keeping the scapula fully protracted during a Push-Up is a mistake.

Your scapula should be protracted at the top and neutral at the bottom, the position naturally changes because it is a dynamic exercise unlike Planche Lean! It is very important to let your scapula move during the movement.

Moreover, I have found over time that full protaction does not maximize my strength. I am far more efficient with my scapula somewhat protacted at the top & neutral at the bottom.

James McKenzie

Great! Thank you both for the clarification