This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

How much is too much?

Started by Michael Matheny, January 9, 2018 · 21 Replies · 408 Views

Michael Matheny

Hi,

I've been doing each of the stretch series once a week, per coach's instructions. Additionally, I've started doing a daily 15 minute routine on my calf/hammies and quads. I'll typically hold each stretch for 1:30 - 2:00. I'm wondering if I'm overworking it. Should I stretch less?

I'm extremely tight/stiff, if that make a difference. I have a long way to go in flexibility. 

How much stretching would be too much?

Thanks,

Mike

Alessandro Mainente

HI Michael, I discuss the approach of stretching limbs with very tight tissue with my neurophysiology professor at the university. It is something which makes sense.... When we have tight muscles it is because fascia and nervous reflexes tend to build the habit of being "tight". IN order to develop the opposite habit it is better to reinforce the good habit. in a practical way means that instead of holding single a position for 3  minutes it is better 3 set of 60''. more stimulation reset temporarily the CNS and in a long time, it has more impact on our flexibility. Another option it is multiple exercises at different angles, this is the basic approach on how Stretch Series works, but since you cannot do the series all the days....perform more sets.

Michael Matheny

Cool. So it's okay to stretch everyday? Just not as intensely as when I'm doing one of the series?

Jeffrey Bittner

Hi Michael,

That is correct. You are welcome to do a light stretch daily, however, save intense stretching for the days you do the Stretch series.

Alessandro Mainente

Well stretch everyday.....only the few (1-3) exercises where you have the strongest limitations.

Étienne Lajeunesse
13 hours ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

HI Michael, I discuss the approach of stretching limbs with very tight tissue with my neurophysiology professor at the university. It is something which makes sense.... When we have tight muscles it is because fascia and nervous reflexes tend to build the habit of being "tight". IN order to develop the opposite habit it is better to reinforce the good habit. in a practical way means that instead of holding single a position for 3  minutes it is better 3 set of 60''. more stimulation reset temporarily the CNS and in a long time, it has more impact on our flexibility. Another option it is multiple exercises at different angles, this is the basic approach on how Stretch Series works, but since you cannot do the series all the days....perform more sets.

So, as I understand, we can do daily 3x60s stretches?  Won't it be too much on the long run?  Or is it okay as long we don't go as intense as the stretch series?

Alessandro Mainente

As stated previously this thing it is valid only for a few exercices. You can take ONE or TWO, and i repeat one or two exercises from the 3 stretch series where you are too much limited and do them daily.

Craig Copeland

Sorry to ask for more clarification: 1 or 2 stretches total for daily limber?  Or 1-2 from each series (3-6 total) for daily limber? I’m really tight in shoulders and hamstrings and hips so I’m hoping you say “1 or 2 from all 3 for a total of 3-6”

regardless, this info is really helpful. Thank you for the expert advice. 

Étienne Lajeunesse
5 minutes ago, Craig Copeland said:

Sorry to ask for more clarification: 1 or 2 stretches total for daily limber?  Or 1-2 from each series (3-6 total) for daily limber? I’m really tight in shoulders and hamstrings and hips so I’m hoping you say “1 or 2 from all 3 for a total of 3-6”

regardless, this info is really helpful. Thank you for the expert advice. 

Hey Craig,

It's 1-2 exercises in total. 

I also do have a lot to work on! But one thing at the time :)

Suzanna McGee

And I would think it's 1-2 from each stretch series… For example, I need extra quad and hip-flexor attention (from FSS), then piriformis and frog (MSS) and some inverted cat and traps from TBS. I really don't feel it is too much. They are all SO different. 

Mounir Hamdi

Hello all,

Great topic. I have an overabundance of deficiencies :) and was also wondering how many stretches to put in the daily limbering.  I currently add 3 stretches from each series but try to limit the length and intensity of the holds. Including a general warmup it takes me about 20 min a day. I currently do not feel it is too much but I wonder if it is more beneficial to focus on less elements? Probably overthinking this already :). Doing 8 hr desk work a day i do realize that additional daily limbering is a necessity.

Kind regards,

Mounir

Alessandro Mainente

HI Mounir, with 8 hours of the desk I think that you need to do some light stretch every 2-3 hours of work, something for quads, hips flexor, calves and hamstring.

Mounir Hamdi

Thank you Alessandro. I will definitely try to include this. They are currently installing desks that also make it possible to stand so that might help as well. I assume that for this light stretching i can use some of the dynamic stretches from the three stretch series such as  side to side squats or stand and pike? Or are short static holds better for this light stretching?

Thanks.

Everett Carroll

Both are great, Mounir. 

Jennifer Marie

 

On 1/9/2018 at 6:01 PM, Alessandro Mainente said:

HI Michael, I discuss the approach of stretching limbs with very tight tissue with my neurophysiology professor at the university. It is something which makes sense.... When we have tight muscles it is because fascia and nervous reflexes tend to build the habit of being "tight". IN order to develop the opposite habit it is better to reinforce the good habit. in a practical way means that instead of holding single a position for 3  minutes it is better 3 set of 60''. more stimulation reset temporarily the CNS and in a long time, it has more impact on our flexibility. Another option it is multiple exercises at different angles, this is the basic approach on how Stretch Series works, but since you cannot do the series all the days....perform more sets.

@Alessandro Mainente Your wealth of knowledge continues to amaze me. It helps me a ton to understand WHY we do some of the things we do... and I'm naturally very curious too. I've learned so much from you in the short period of time since I've found GB! 

Alessandro Mainente

The advantages of the GB private forum!

Greg Case

I've been wondering why doing a particular stretch series multiple times a week is not beneficial. Is this due to a muscle repair time period after the session?

Jin Liu
On 1/11/2018 at 5:40 PM, Craig Copeland said:

Sorry to ask for more clarification: 1 or 2 stretches total for daily limber?  Or 1-2 from each series (3-6 total) for daily limber? I’m really tight in shoulders and hamstrings and hips so I’m hoping you say “1 or 2 from all 3 for a total of 3-6”

regardless, this info is really helpful. Thank you for the expert advice. 

I’d interpret it as 1-2 in total if you are a beginner. And can be 3-6 if your body is already well adapted. I routinely do 3-6 stretches to cool down after a workout. That really depends on the individual and the workout of the day. 

Étienne Lajeunesse
18 minutes ago, Jin Liu said:

I’d interpret it as 1-2 in total if you are a beginner. And can be 3-6 if your body is already well adapted. I routinely do 3-6 stretches to cool down after a workout. That really depends on the individual and the workout of the day. 

Yeah 3-6 if you're already flexible, like you Jin ahah :D

Alessandro Mainente

This is one of the reason especially for connective tissue, also neurological recovery is necessary.

John Kiggundu

@Michael Matheny I actually find that what tends to be helpful for me on daily limbering is weighted stretching on any particular area that you want to focus on. I give myself 3-4 months to focus on certain aspects that I need improvement on, and after those 3-4 months I move onto something else.

I find that if you can be as consistent as @Suzanna McGee then doing the once a week stretches is more than enough. Weeks come by sooner than you think and being able to do 4 stretches in a month is no small task I tell you.

Suzanna McGee
3 hours ago, John Kiggundu said:

I find that if you can be as consistent as @Suzanna McGee then doing the once a week stretches is more than enough. Weeks come by sooner than you think and being able to do 4 stretches in a month is no small task I tell you.

So true… I am going to do my number 73 middle split tonight, and I have not missed one week… the progress from week to week doesn't seem much (sometimes yes, sometimes not, sometimes it even feels like a little regression), but overall, it's a huge progress forward.