This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

SLS/SE1 - formcheck + help needed

Started by Petra Kmecová, January 9, 2018 · 19 Replies · 186 Views

Petra Kmecová

Hello everybody,

I’m seeking for some tips on SLS/SE1 exercise. 

I started this progression last week and it is humbling experience so far :-).

Here are videos from todays session. 

As you can see, there is significant difference in my hip mobility. I also feel the difference in my hamstring mobility in various exercises ... and I’m working on it.

Right hip, I think it’s OK ... it at least feels OK.

Left hip, not so much ... I have to readjust the leg, to put it in the right place and ROM is limited compred to right. 

Strange thing is, that while lowering on right leg, I feel tension in my left hamstring before I feel it in my hip. It’s sudden sensation and I stop squating immediately, sort of readjust my position (with left leg still on my knee) and when I start sqautting again, it’s OK (tighter than right but without that hamstring pull). This happens only on first, second, maybe third set, others are OK.

In my “preelement” warm up for SLS I do 200% mastery sets of PE4-PE7 + all 100% iMs and brief piriformis stretch, so I think my hip should be warmed up enough. PE8 + iM I continue to do on 5*5 volume on other days. When i started with Middle split stretch series, I felt the same hamstring pull in the beginning of piriformis stretch, I had to find the right position, readjust myself couple of times and then start the stretch that i felt in piriformis. Since I started to do piriformis for 30-45s almost daily, it went away and I no longer feel the pull when I do piriformis stretch.

So my question is:

What stretch would you recommend me to do to help me with this exercise, because I don’t feel like piriformis stretch from MSS is doing the trick - I’ll post a formcheck tommorow, coz I’ve just realized, I was never formchecked for this one.

And another question ... out of curiousity ... and i think @Alessandro MainenteUsually kniws this stuff ... What would be the best strategy to do for my left hip so it catches up with the right.

 

thanks a lot in advance.

Alessandro Mainente

HI Petra, I would do 2 things:

1-the piriformis stretch of the middle split daily

2-assume the butterfly position of MSS with back to the wall and with closed eyes. open them and check for asymmetrical knee height. then work to press down the higher leg first, then bend forward. usually, I tend to spend 8-10 minutes on the asymmetrical leg before pushing with the position.

Petra Kmecová

Thanks @Alessandro Mainente.

Right now, I’m doing piriformis daily (or at least 5-6 times a week), spending more time on that tighter one. I’m doing it only in my full body warm up, so it’s quite short and I move in and out if it ... I would say 45 sec.max on that tigh leg.

I assume you recommned longer static hold ... exactly as it is in MSS? And only for that stubborn left leg, right?

I’m doing MSS later today, so I’ll try that prolonged butterfly stretch and submit formcheck for piriformis stretch.

What about that hamstring pull I wrote about in my previous post? Is it because od tight hip or is it more of a hamstring issue. When I do front split stretch and various hip hinging exercises, I notice that my left hamstring is tighter, but the difference is not that obvious.

Thanks again Alessandro.

Alessandro Mainente

Can you locate the tension in the middle of the legs of ner the glutes?

Petra Kmecová
2 hours ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

Can you locate the tension in the middle of the legs of ner the glutes?

@Alessandro Mainente

Middle. Just around here:

806C7AC0-D891-4CB1-B0B7-DC0ABDD6FE53.thumb.png.d4d3322703b82fbfeb1147b216600ac7.png

Petra Kmecová

And funny thing happened, hehe ... when I set myself in butterfly position with closed eyes as you suggested ... and then checked it, my right leg was higher!!! And its the left hip that feels so much tighter ...

764A6E3D-C87A-4254-A6BC-324D42904A4C.thumb.png.27366cb1b08e179a7183033ebfc58543.png

Is that normal? :-D

Étienne Lajeunesse

@Alessandro Mainente What does closing the eyes do for the stretches?

Petra Kmecová
1 minute ago, Étienne Lajeunesse said:

@Alessandro Mainente What does closing the eyes do for the stretches?

Well I was only setting myself into position with closed eyes ... and I think it was only necessary so you could not check your leg position while gettng into position and keep it honest ...

But maybe I missed the true point of closed eyes ... 

Étienne Lajeunesse
2 minutes ago, Petra Kmecová said:

Well I was only setting myself into position with closed eyes ... and I think it was only necessary so you could not check your leg position while gettng into position and keep it honest ...

But maybe I missed the true point of closed eyes ... 

Let's see what he's saying :)

Alessandro Mainente
5 hours ago, Petra Kmecová said:

Well I was only setting myself into position with closed eyes ... and I think it was only necessary so you could not check your leg position while gettng into position and keep it honest ...

But maybe I missed the true point of closed eyes ... 

exactly.

Generally speaking if i ask you do to something you tend to correct it. with closed eyes you do not have references and problems comes out. 

Another example? perform the beginning element fo sPL IM, and stop when the leg is in the straddle position. n the most of the cases people has no idea about the leg position. 

petra, what you are experimenting it is usually a co-contraction of leg muscles. I was familiar with that on the final part of legs on foundations 4 especially with weak glutes.

Petra Kmecová

Thanks @Alessandro Mainente. My glutes and hamstrings do indeed need some serious strenghthening ... :-) I struggle with iM on this progression as well, so I will work on it ... plus I will implement those tip from you to help my hip get even mobility.

Tanya Hill

Petra, 

One thing I have done with the Hawaiian Squat has been to do them assisted. What I do is hold onto a wall bar to get fully into the squat I do a few reps like this as warm up and I’ve seen amazing results. 

Love seeing all your videos on the Forum. 

Petra Kmecová

Thanks @Tanya Hill. That sound like a good idea!

Kiddos are getting older ... aka ... life is not so demanding ... so I can finally fully focus on training and get the best out of this year ... still being on maternity leave :-).

So I guess, you’ll see a lot of me :-)))

Petra Kmecová

Following @Alessandro Mainente‘s advice of daily butterfly & piriformis stretches, I think I made quite nice progress with this PE. Meaning - ROM of left hip external rotation still needs lots of work, but I’m no longer getting that hamstring pull I described above, not even on first set.

Here is last set of 5*5r volume. Besides from left hip’s ROM, is there anything to work on? Last rep on left leg is a bit unbalanced in the end, but all in all I feel OK while doing those.

I’ll have plenty of time polishing this one, coz I fail mobility biiiiiig time! Truth is, I’m not able to do single rep without my hips collapsing. So right now, I’m working on negatives and it’s killing my hamstrigs like nothing ever before. Is this a good idea to built up to actual reps? Here is my form:

Usually, I manage 5r, but today wasn’t the strongest day for my hamstrings. Failed at 3r.

Thanks for your help.

Alessandro Mainente

I'm happy to hear about your progress and problem solved. for your hamstring work they are good.

Petra Kmecová

Hey folks, 

After cca 2,5 months of doing just negatives for iM exercise, today was my second session where I managed 5*3r... Real reps. It totally crushes my hamstrings, but I'm happy I've built up those :-). 

How is my form, please? 

 

Thanks

 

Alessandro Mainente

Hold your arms off from the floor ;-)

Petra Kmecová

Hey @Alessandro Mainente, is holding arms off the floor necessary for mastery or is it more of a long term goal? Instructions show hands on the floor, so I'm bit confused. 

I can now do 5x5r of iM exercise with form like in the previous post. Can I move on after 2-3 session? 

Thanks

Alessandro Mainente

I suggest doing it because you tend to reduce the amount of the hips extensors by using shoulder extension. For mastery no aid of the shoulder!

Petra Kmecová
56 minutes ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

I suggest doing it because you tend to reduce the amount of the hips extensors by using shoulder extension. For mastery no aid of the shoulder!

OK Alessandro, I'll work on that. I am in for stronger hamstrings :-).