This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Strengthen mobility exersises after a Sprained ankle

Started by Philip Windsor, January 8, 2018 · 2 Replies · 87 Views

Philip Windsor

Hi all, 

First post of the new year, so happy new year everyone.

I'll preface my question with that i will be seeing a physio as well, im just looking for what people have done after they have recovered from a sprain.

So yesterday i fell off my Unicycle while doing some off-road downhill training, i landed with one foot partly on a rock which slipped and bent the ankle putting some body weight through it.

I attribute the fact that the sprain isn't worst to the mobility work I've done for front and middle splits and the movement module too, all great program which ill will continue with as soon as im able. 

So my question is are there any other exercises i can be doing to reduce the chance of my ankle rolling over? and what if any exercise in the above programs should i give special focus too?

Thanks in advance.

Phil

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Philip consider that strains on the ankles tend to be recurrences when a previous one was not completely recovered. 

All the surrounding muscles must be previously conditioned again with:

-instability surface first until a solid normal range of motion it is achieved;

-band exercises for inversion and eversion which are the 2 range of motions where the strain happens;

-in some cases like the strains after a jump the hips inability to control the absorbing part can lead to knees wrong movement and then a foot wrong impact. this means that working on hips control can be a good idea for future prevention development.

Philip Windsor

Thanks for the rapid response, I'll bear that in mind. Never had a problem before with that ankle, just fell awkwardly while riding downhill and so the landing was very good. 

Had it under compression today and applied the wheat bag and can now do ankle circles and walking  is nearly back to normal as well. So I'll keep doing none weighted stuff for a while.

I will just focus on my handstands gives me chance to get past my block on iM2 taking ages go get shoulder width and high but seeing this as an opportunity :D