This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Manna PE6 with terrible pike

Started by Iliya Polihronov, January 8, 2018 · 8 Replies · 183 Views

Iliya Polihronov

Hi,

My flexibility is terrible. I started working on it by doing the stretch series, but at this point I'm still not even close touching my feet with a standing pike. On the other hand I have a decent ab strength. So Manna PE6 is a big problem for me as I need to touch the bar with straight legs, which is currently impossible for me with my flexibility, but it's way too easy for strength training if I don't go that high up. What would be a recommended way for me to approach training for it?

The best idea I came up with was to do the mobility from step 9 (5x5r Vertical Pike Pull) a couple of times a week to aid in stretching. Then on "core day" do the Manna progression with straight legs as high up as I can currently go, again with step 9 ( as 3x1x10s from step 1 won't do much for me, especially when not starting from a top position of touching the bar). And then I would move to the next PE only after my flexibility improves and I can do this with touching the bar. Would that be a correct approach?

Thanks!

Iliya

Pauline Taube

Hi Iliya,

Thanks for reaching out!

Have you mastered the previous progressions? Please submit a video of PE1 and PE2 and their iMs for review. These need to be mastered first. Great to hear that you’re doing the Stretch series. These will definetely help you progress faster through the Foundation series!

looking forward to see your videos :) 

Antonio Alías Montoya

If you can t touch your feets with your hands then you are far from mastering pe1. I think you should dial back and send check forms. 

Iliya Polihronov

Thank you for your feedback! I submitted videos for review as you guys suggested.

I guess I missed something with regards to the standards for PE1/PE2. They don't seem to require reaching my toes with straight legs in pike as PE1 strength is with bent legs and mobility is reaching the floor with legs apart (which I can do). For PE2 the strength is also with legs apart and I'm not sure what's considered an acceptable low position on the Jefferson curls to move on to the next step. If it's the same level as in the exercise videos (with very experienced gymnasts), it seems like I would be stuck on stretching for years without working on strength?

Alessandro Mainente

The technique can be refined once a decent mobility it is achieved, generally, the PE2 requires a minimum of standard of IM1.

You can post PE2 video and IM1 video for more evaluation. I highly recommend a form check.

Antonio Alías Montoya
6 hours ago, Iliya Polihronov said:

 If it's the same level as in the exercise videos (with very experienced gymnasts), it seems like I would be stuck on stretching for years without working on strength?

This is exactly what happen to some of us. I m one year already with stiff leg windmill, some people stayed for 2 years with jefferson curl. But if you don t have this level of flexibility i m quite sure you have not mastered the strengh elements with proper form. First 3 progression of manna requires brutal level of hamstring flexibility. I feel like staying here forever because maintaining apt i can t even reach a 90 ° angle, actually i m far from that.

Suzanna McGee
10 hours ago, Iliya Polihronov said:

it seems like I would be stuck on stretching for years without working on strength?

Either you'll be "stuck" here (and improving) or you will be stuck on the leg raises… (and not improving, because you have to go back to the PE2)  :-) 

Iliya Polihronov

Totally makes sense. Thanks everyone and sorry for the beginner's questions! :) 

Antonio Alías Montoya
4 hours ago, Iliya Polihronov said:

Totally makes sense. Thanks everyone and sorry for the beginner's questions! :) 

I understand your concern because i was very pissed the first time I realized how far i was from mastering pe 1. Just think how much you need this mobility drills and how good will make you. Consistency and patience, lot of patience!