This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Pregnant doing foundation 1

Started by Christina Metcalfe 222338, January 6, 2018 · 10 Replies · 289 Views

Christina Metcalfe 222338

Hello to all the women doing Gymnasticbodies foundation 1. I've been doing foundation 1 for a few months with a good base level fitness and am now 7 weeks pregnant. The program still feels fine to continue with at the moment. Are there any women out there that have continued the program through pregnancy or any pregnant women in the same boat? Same fellow womens opions and advice is welcome!!

Tanya Hill

Hi Christina, 

Congratulations on the family addition! I have seen many women continue to train their GST through out their pregnancy. As you get further along you will notice things be a bit more challenging. All the hip mobility work will be super helpful. If you do not have the stretch courses now would be the perfect time to swoop those up. Continue with your Foundations the best you can and modify as needed. 

Christina Metcalfe 222338

Thanks Tanya, fantastic news. Relieved I can keep going, as I'm loving the program. I was thinking about to start the stretch course and now I will!! Thanks again.

Petra Kmecová

I’ll toss in my 2 cents.

First pregnancy - young and scared AF :-). I stopped exercising immediately, gained much more than necessary and overall felt terrible - lower back was killing me. 

Second time around - learned from my mistakes :-). Although I wasn’t relly doing GST (only bits of it found online), I did bodyweight strength training up until 35th week when I was not cleared to continue by my doctor. Felt so much better and was the only one in the group of pregnant women not complaining about lower back pain and terrible energy levels. I had to modify a lot of exercises with belly growing bigger, but always managed to found the way.

Good luck!

Valerie Morwood

I was just going to ask the same question! I also am 7 weeks pregnant. So far I am able to continue in everything, although I’m definitely more tired, and I have cut back on volume. The biggest things I’m concerned about are the core elements which (in later months) might put lots of pressure on the uterus, possibly leading to diastasis recti. So, I’m prepared to stop those elements if I see/feel some separation. At some point I will no longer be able to do push-ups properly, so I go back to hbp pe1, with a lower box. I don’t know how the stretch courses will go because the hormone relaxin makes joints loose. So, I’m not sure if I will have to scale back the intensity so that I don’t put excess pressure on loose joints. I also do the handstand and tumbling courses, which I will continue until they feel uncomfortable. I have also thought about coming back after delivery and the time involved to rebuild the core elements—I will do a reset and start at the beginning. Post birth, I will spend some time doing post-natal specific core exercises. Is there anything else you have thought of?

Maybe we can check in with each other regularly to see how things are going.

Christina Metcalfe 222338

Thanks Petra for your input, much appreciated! :)

Christina Metcalfe 222338

Hi Valerie, congratulations!! Very exciting news! I have all the same concerns as you..but feeling good right now so going to keep going. I'm 9 weeks pregnant now and not feeling so tired..might be just a phase before tiredness kicks in again!! Not nauseous yet. I've started the stretching programs, but am super tight, so I think doing these programs will help me personally. I'm also doing restorative and yin yoga 3 days a week, which is more for calming the mind than physical. More than happy to keep in touch to track progress, especially with core variations. I'll be curious to know how you make adjustments. I was doing handstand type training prior to pregnancy and have access to those programs (handstand and movement), but not sure if to start them..I thought I could do the beginner sections, but skip the actual handstands and tumbles. Looking forward to keeping in touch!!

Peter Swanson
On 1/21/2018 at 10:45 AM, Valerie Morwood said:

I was just going to ask the same question! I also am 7 weeks pregnant. So far I am able to continue in everything, although I’m definitely more tired, and I have cut back on volume. The biggest things I’m concerned about are the core elements which (in later months) might put lots of pressure on the uterus, possibly leading to diastasis recti. So, I’m prepared to stop those elements if I see/feel some separation. At some point I will no longer be able to do push-ups properly, so I go back to hbp pe1, with a lower box. I don’t know how the stretch courses will go because the hormone relaxin makes joints loose. So, I’m not sure if I will have to scale back the intensity so that I don’t put excess pressure on loose joints. I also do the handstand and tumbling courses, which I will continue until they feel uncomfortable. I have also thought about coming back after delivery and the time involved to rebuild the core elements—I will do a reset and start at the beginning. Post birth, I will spend some time doing post-natal specific core exercises. Is there anything else you have thought of?

Maybe we can check in with each other regularly to see how things are going.

Hi, I am also pregnant doing Foundations.  You mentioned post natal specific core exercises--where did you find those?  Thanks!

Valerie Morwood

Right now I am doing the birthfit program which has some pregnancy safe core exercises. They have a prenatal and postnatal course. However, it is a lot more than just core. It also includes lots of weights, so I've cut back considerably on how much GST I do, which means that I have lost GST specific fitness. I was prepared for this because, realistically, I'm not sure how much progress I can make with GST which pregnant, especially in core, and I wanted to have something to do. After I give birth and have basic core function again, I will start back at the beginning with GST. To get basic core function back, I plan to go to a PT specializing in pelvic floor health, I plan to follow the birthfit postnatal program. A good podcast about pelvic floor health is the informed pregnancy podcast episode from aug 24, 2017 called Pelvic Floor Health - Beyond Kegels.

congrats on your pregnancy, how far along are you? How are you finding doing GST pregnant?

Stela Cuesta

Any updates on this topic? I'm looking for advice on what exercises should I do or avoid. and what is the birthfit program? Is it here?

Stela Cuesta
On 1/6/2018 at 5:10 AM, Tanya Hill said:

Hi Christina, 

Congratulations on the family addition! I have seen many women continue to train their GST through out their pregnancy. As you get further along you will notice things be a bit more challenging. All the hip mobility work will be super helpful. If you do not have the stretch courses now would be the perfect time to swoop those up. Continue with your Foundations the best you can and modify as needed. 

Hi Tanya, what are your recommendations for "modify as needed". For example with core, which I want to work out to be read for a fit pregnancy and delivery: seems like straddle hollow body and side over arch should be fine, but what about V-ups? The rest I think should be fine. It would be great to have some specific classes or exercises for pregnancy!!!