This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Pseudo planche push-up (PPP) form check

Started by Mark Chin, January 5, 2018 · 9 Replies · 317 Views

Mark Chin

Hi. Been stuck on this one for what seems a long time. Would love some feedback. Thank you very kindly in advance.

 

 

 

Tanya Hill

Mark!

Fantastic work my friend, these are no where near as easy as you make them look. I would love to see the your shoulder postion from a top view and make sure that you are protracted. From the side it looks like you are just want to double check. Keep at it, I see you mastering this in no time! 

 

 

Mark Chin

@Tanya Hill

Thank you so much for the feedback. The ease with which I do these has to do with (as you are well aware) how close my wrists are to my knees. Two inches closer and I can barely get two reps. So one of my main questions is, are they close enough to meet the mastery standard in the first video? Let's set aside the point that I nearly face planted on the seventh rep for now. (:

Oh, and is this the view you were looking for? I was praying my phone didn't come flying off the top of the closet door...

Thanks again for your feedback. It is warmly appreciated.

 

Alessandro Mainente

Hey Mark, in order to understand the necessary lean you need to check the bottom part of the movement that it a bent arm planche with feet on the floor and we have 2 options:

-forearms that are vertical: not enough lean

-forearms inclined: enough lean. I would say something in between 10-20°.

Mark Chin

@Alessandro Mainente

Thank you so much for your input.  I want to make sure I understand... is this the angle you're talking about (see pic below)? 

 

Truthfully I kind of exaggerated the angle for clarity. If that is what we're talking about, I have a lot of work to do to get to mastery. Yikes!

Thank you again. All of your comments throughout this board are great.

 

image.thumb.png.c91eb52902a6fb79077c8f18171d0b80.png

Alessandro Mainente

Yes this is the angle, in the specific case of the photo, it is not enough.

When you are in the bottom position the hands are approximately at hips level.

Mark Chin

Understood. I was working with a bad mental model.  I totally get it now, though it sure means I'll be doing these for a heck of a lot longer than I thought!

Thank you so much. This digital coaching kicks ass.

Mark Chin

 

@Alessandro Mainente

 

How does this look? 

 

https://youtu.be/34a-uQROf7k

 

Thank you in advance! 

 

Warm regards, 

 

M

Alessandro Mainente

The amount of lean now is good BUT you are loosing lean at the top of every reps simply because you are lifting your hips and moving some weight on the instep. IN fact, i took 2 frames one at the beginning of the set and one at the end of the first reps ( you can simply measure the distance between your butt and the pulley over the ceiling) , there is no longer a straight line running from shoulders to feet.

lean.png

Mark Chin

It seems so obvious when you point it out like that, but I would *never* have seen it without your help.

Thank you so much, Alex!!  You da man.

 

Mark