This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Extra mobility work

Started by Christopher Hancox, January 5, 2018 · 9 Replies · 157 Views

Christopher Hancox

Hiya,

I am trying to add in a mobility specific workout where I can really target my tighter areas and lines. My plan is to take the PEs and iMs that I'm stuck on (due to lack of mobility, not strength) and make a specific session out of it once a week. Also I will add in the previously completed iMs I found hard. I'm hoping this will give me a head start for future progressions.

So here is my question.

Can I add the next progression of iMs to this mobility session provided I am proficient in the current iM. Of course I will have had form checks to make sure the current iM is ok, and will continue these in the usual scheduled foundation workouts. 

Étienne Lajeunesse

Hey Christopher,

Great idea here to do some additional mobility! I do the same and it helps me a lot to overcome stiffness.  Just keep in mind to do them lightly as you don't want to excessively use your joints.

As for your question, nothing keeps to not do anything here, even - in fact it is suggested - if it's recommended to master one progression at the time.  I would say it's ok for some iMs, as long as it won't place to much stress on the body!

But let the coaches give you a more precise answer here!

Hope it helps :)

Jennifer Marie

Not a coach, but I agree with Etienne. In fact, I've noticed some iM's have bits from the stretch series. So that being said, the GB stretch programs are worth the time and money.

Christopher Hancox

Thanks for the input. I plan to work my way through the iMs so that once they are mastered I can advance to the next mobility progression. Hopefully this will highlight and fix my tight areas.

I have used the stretch series for a while but it wasn't for me. My body has some serious issues with autonomic nervous imbalance. I have something that is working for me now though and I am progressing. 

Étienne Lajeunesse

@Christopher Hancox,

What do you have? And which areas are you tighter?

Christopher Hancox

The list of tight areas is huge, but the main areas for attention are hamstrings and quads/hf, calves and anterior tibialis etc., biceps, chest, and everything involved in hip/rib cage rotation (specifically left rotation), and right hand side compression. As you can see it's a bit of a postural induced mess.:wacko:

I am using Kit's stuff including his meditation audios.

Étienne Lajeunesse
26 minutes ago, Christopher Hancox said:

The list of tight areas is huge, but the main areas for attention are hamstrings and quads/hf, calves and anterior tibialis etc., biceps, chest, and everything involved in hip/rib cage rotation (specifically left rotation), and right hand side compression. As you can see it's a bit of a postural induced mess.:wacko:

I am using Kit's stuff including his meditation audios.

Yeah, I don't know much of him than his flexibility approach.  But, good thing if it works on you.

If the stretch series don't work as they should on you, you maybe need more strengthening for now.  That's my case for my right hip, where my right hamstring is stiff as hell.  That's where mobilization could be good for you.

Have you seen a physical therapist for this?

Christopher Hancox

I have seen multiple physios over the last 8month or so. Unfortunately there aren't many good ones for a few miles around me. They seem to be good at rehab for acute injuries, but posture related problems and chronic injuries, they don't have a clue. I have however, had three Rolfing sessions which have helped me massively. I now know where my posture is causing issues and the release techniques and rehab exercises to perform to solve it. Just need to keep it going along side GB and the extra mobility.

Thanks for your help!

Étienne Lajeunesse

Good! No problem, keep us posted :)

Everett Carroll
On 1/5/2018 at 4:22 AM, Christopher Hancox said:

Can I add the next progression of iMs to this mobility session provided I am proficient in the current iM. Of course I will have had form checks to make sure the current iM is ok, and will continue these in the usual scheduled foundation workouts. 

100% yes. Great idea. Great thread everyone!