Hey everyone. I’ve narrowed down that the side to squat for some reason tends to flare up some low back pain for me. I’ve had low back issues for about 10 years likely from sitting at desk/car for most of my day. Any suggestions on why this movement causes me such grief?
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
Side to Side Squat causing Low Back Pain
Started by Mike Antonio, January 4, 2018 · 6 Replies · 140 Views
I d recommend a check form first to see if you are performing them correctly! :-)
@Mike Antonio is your back straight or hunched over in the squat? Try to keep the back straight, especially the lower back. If you can reach a slight anterior pelvic tilt, even better. But that will require some good hamstring flexibility. Also, you'll probably have to squat less deep in order to maintain the straight lower back. And yea, submitting a form check if you get a chance.
7 hours ago, Jin Liu said:@Mike Antonio is your back straight or hunched over in the squat? Try to keep the back straight, especially the lower back. If you can reach a slight anterior pelvic tilt, even better. But that will require some good hamstring flexibility. Also, you'll probably have to squat less deep in order to maintain the straight lower back. And yea, submitting a form check if you get a chance.
I’m pretty sure im leaning forward quite a bit in order to execute a deep side to side squat. I will try going with less depth next time and see if it helps. Thank you!
Hey @Mike Antonio,
I feel some low back discomfort too doing these, but only on one side. It's due to a lack of mobility on my right ankle. The other one's fine.
So, look to your ankles too, maybe you need some more dorsiflexion too (with the hips like others are saying)!
Definitely try the form check. Could be a straight up back thing, but more often back pain originates from somewhere else. The ankle, like Etienne mentioned, or hip mobility issues might be shifting your squat into something that is straining your back.
I hate pictures and videos of myself, but I've found the form checks invaluable in the few short months I've been using them.
Hey Mike,
Don't continue to train through the pack discomfort. Reduce the range of motion or step back in progressions in order to completely avoid it. Have you seen any medical professionals for this?