This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Are Ring Mobilty Exercises Safe While Still F1?

Started by Sean Schade, January 4, 2018 · 4 Replies · 339 Views

Sean Schade

I tried the R1>iM1-iM8 mobility exercises this week, and they feel fantastic on my shoulders. I’m only 5 months in to F1 and the Stretch Series, and just started Handstand 1 this week. I know you’re not supposed to attempt Rings 1 until you mastered F4 and Handstand 2, but are those 8 mobility exercises safe to do?

I have done three sessions, and the sore trapezius that has been bugging me for the last 4 weeks is now better!

Also, I wish I would have started Handstand 1 five months ago. I foolishly thought it was going to be too difficult, but the preparatory elements would have been really beneficial. My wrists have never felt better! :facepalm::D

Jin Liu

I personally think the ring mobility is safe to do. But like everything else, listen to you body. If too much on the body for now, I wouldn't do them more than once a week (treat it like the stretch series).

Kai Ewert

I believe that @Mats Trane has shared that he does the ring mobility series before every (upper body?) workout and feels it is helpful. I have not been that consistent with it but find it hard to imagine that it would be detrimental...

Sean Schade

Thanks for feedback. I’m pretty good at listening to my body, but after 5 months I realized that there are muscles I never even thought about before. :D

Everett Carroll

Hey Sean,

Start with once per week for these. The general rule is that you are always welcome to begin working on more advanced mobility drills but should avoid the strength components until you have progressed there.