This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Jefferson curl progression

Started by Dan Schreter, January 3, 2018 · 13 Replies · 267 Views

Dan Schreter

Hi,

I've seen on several posts that the recommended progression for J-curls (weight) is about 2.5-5 lbs, once every three months. At the same time, the target for mastery is 50% body weight.

As I weigh about 160 lbs, assuming 5 lbs a quarter, that would take four years. Is it intended for people to be "stuck" on this step of the manna progression for such a long time? If not, should I move on without achieving mastery in terms of weight, and continue gradually building it up (while also working on later parts of the progression)? And at what point (in terms of weight) should that happen?

Alessandro Mainente

Hey Dan the 5 lbs it is a suggestion, Also generally people begin with 8-15 kg that it is acceptable. If you feel that when you increase the weight you do not have any issue or soreness in the back you can add something more on the following workout. On the other side if you feel sore, then you can wait a couple of training session and increase the time over time only by 5 lbs.

Étienne Lajeunesse
3 minutes ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

If you feel that when you increase the weight you do not have any issue or soreness in the back you can add something more on the following workout.

Hi Alessandro, does that mean that if I don't have any soreness then it's a sign we can raise the weight?

Alessandro Mainente

yes, but i still suggest to hold a certain weight for a couple of session.

Dan Schreter

Even starting at 15 KG, adding 5 lbs every quarter would take me at least 2 years to get to 50% body weight. Does it make sense to not be progressing on to the next exercise for that long?

Jennifer Marie

I don't get sore at my current weight but I've been keeping it because my legs tremble on the way back up. I think that's from trying to keep my legs straight and initiate the movement by straightening my pelvic tilt (I go full anterior tilt at the very bottom).

Does this make sense? Or perhaps I should keeping PPT or neutral tilt?

 

Alessandro Mainente

The suggestion of adding 5 lbs every 3 months it is good especially for thoso who had spine problem. on a safety spine the best thing it is to listen to your body. reaching 30-40 kg on JC in one year it is ok, but remember that a correct technique and range of motion are equally important!

Étienne Lajeunesse
1 minute ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

but remember that a correct technique and range of motion are equally important!

What's the recommended ROM for mastery?

Alessandro Mainente

At least pass the toes with all the hands and begin with the wrist. the possibility to work with all the range of motion of the spine in flexion you need to reach lower.

Jonas Berglund
14 hours ago, Jennifer Marie said:

(I go full anterior tilt at the very bottom).

Does this make sense? Or perhaps I should keeping PPT or neutral tilt?

 

Intressting, great you bringed this up. I keep PPT thorugh the whole movement. Hope coaches can give us some feedback whats right?

Étienne Lajeunesse

@Jennifer Marie, @Jonas Berglund,

Jennifer, I would like too see your APT in full pike! Because I don't think that after a certain point, APT is impossible to achieve due to physiological mechanisms... 

And just for the Jefferson curl purpose guys, you want a full flexion of the spine.  It would be counter productive to try APT as it will extend it.  But for this one, wait for a coach's reply :)

Pauline Taube

Hi Jonas,

When doing Jefferson curls you want to keep your hips in ppt :) 

Jennifer Marie

Good point Etienne. My spine probably isn't rounded so much at that point. I've been shifting my hips forward to get a deeper stretch in the posterior chain at the bottom of the curl but returning to APT before uncurling again. It feels good but as Pauline mentioned, PPT is the intent so I shall stop there next time to make sure I meet the requisite ROM without shifting anterior. 

Leo Trinidad

Best thing to do with Jefferson Curls is to go to a comfortable weight and max out your range of motion then slowly increase from there while keeping the form the best way possible.