This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Foundations 1 - worth it?

Started by Sean Rice, January 3, 2018 · 8 Replies · 282 Views

Sean Rice

Hi, I just purchased foundations 1, in the hopes that it would be exactly what I was looking for. Unfortunately I'm worried I'm going to just fly through it and then have to buy foundations 2 and so on. I'm only  a couple of days in, but haven't found any of the workouts to be remotely challenging. Can someone give me a quick glimpse of what types of exercises you're doing toward the end of foundations 1? What skills are possible by this point?

On a somewhat related note, if I have a goal to get to the point of being able to do muscle ups. When would this occur in the foundations series?

Thanks!

Everett Carroll

Hey Sean,

Stick it out for a while longer before swapping for Foundation Two. If you're not finding it challenging after a month then you are not attending to detail properly or are a major stud.

You can view all of the progressions in the course by going to your course library (in the fitness tab). Resist the urge to skip ahead, however. Allow the smiley faces to program your next workouts for you. 

To answer your muscle-up question, I've rarely seen someone NOT be able to perform a muscle-up after mastering all of Foundation One's upper body progressions. Even though F1 does not specifically focus on muscle-ups, the base of strength you build preps you very, very well.

Antonio Alías Montoya
2 hours ago, Sean Rice said:

Hi, I just purchased foundations 1, in the hopes that it would be exactly what I was looking for. Unfortunately I'm worried I'm going to just fly through it and then have to buy foundations 2 and so on. I'm only  a couple of days in, but haven't found any of the workouts to be remotely challenging. Can someone give me a quick glimpse of what types of exercises you're doing toward the end of foundations 1? What skills are possible by this point?

On a somewhat related note, if I have a goal to get to the point of being able to do muscle ups. When would this occur in the foundations series?

Thanks!

Soon enough you ll be worried about being stucked on Foundation 1 for what seems ages.

Étienne Lajeunesse

Hi Sean, I would recommend you to send videos of your forms to see if everything's done correctly.  When I began 2 years ago, I've had this urge too and understood fast enough that I wasn't doing the progressions correctly!

Suzanna McGee

I am giggling here to myself, because that's what I thought when I started  :-) and just as everybody says, soon you will get stuck on the lower PEs and be happy if you pass to the higher ones in 6 months. Or more  :-)  But I too, like everybody else, recommend to video film yourself and post your videos for form check…  

Matthew Walker

In my opinion It's well worth it. Especially the mobility parts. 

Garry Barker

Stick with it and In a few months time you won't even care about muscle ups. 

Personally I think bar muscle ups are a party trick.

Johan Hägg

I have to say that I was exactly where you are in your thoughts and worries. Before starting F1 I saw myself as a pretty strong dude, strict bar muscleups, weighted ring muscleups and so forth.

i had worries that I would zip through F1 in a matter of weeks....until the row and core masterys kicked my ass :D

Don’t worry. The F1 is extremely challenging. If you pay attention to form and don’t cheat your way through it, that is.

There isn’t a single F1 workout nowadays that don’t challenge me in a major way.

My tips is to really pay attention to correct form and do it right. Soon enough you will be challanged.

Mark Chin

Just for perspective, I got from nowhere to a 315 lb squat, 375 lb dead and 225 bench in 9 months. It has been a year on Foundation One (and the stretch and handstand series) with consistency and it absolutely kicks my ass. 

It does take some time to appreciate that the goals are more multifarious than just strength gain. Listen to Coach's podcasts with Robb Wolf and you will see what I mean.