This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Front Level & Other Exercises with Disc Compression

Started by Matt Karlin, January 2, 2018 · 7 Replies · 149 Views

Matt Karlin

Hello,

I have pretty significant L5-S1 disc compression (with few current symptoms besides occasional back tightness) and a Chiropractor suggested I avoid movements such as many of the Front Lever exercises where upper body is being supported by the low back.  Does anyone have any ideas on how to get around this without completely eliminating the exercises?


Thanks,
Matt

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Matt, the front Lever it is primarily a lats exercises plus strong abs in order manintain the correct bodyshape. it becomes a stress for the lower back if a bad preparation and progression is followed.

Matt Karlin

Hmm.  I'm on the Hollow Body Hold and that certainly feels like significant contraction in the low back..and none in the lats.

Maybe you could answer more generally though...for the exercises that do put pressure in the L5/S1 area, any suggestions for getting around this?  I'm also on Negative Hanging Leg Lift in the Manna series and that feels like a low of low back contraction as well, for example.


Thanks.

Antonio Alías Montoya
1 hour ago, Matt Karlin said:

Hmm.  I'm on the Hollow Body Hold and that certainly feels like significant contraction in the low back..and none in the lats.

Maybe you could answer more generally though...for the exercises that do put pressure in the L5/S1 area, any suggestions for getting around this?  I'm also on Negative Hanging Leg Lift in the Manna series and that feels like a low of low back contraction as well, for example.


Thanks.

Hi Matt, I have a broken disc in l5 s1, you shouldnt worry about hollow work, actually you need it. You are feeling pressure on your low back (as i also feel) because you are tight (hip flexors and middle/upper back). If you have back problems you really need the strecht series, specially the front split first. Hollow work is done in PPT and there is no pressure on the disc. What you feel is more probably weakness and tightness, like in the negative hanging leg lift, if you are feeling too much your back it s possible thar you progress too fast in manna progression, be sure you really master not only the pe s but also the mobility because you need tremendous flexibility in your hammies to progress through the very early stages of manna. Good luck with your back! :-)

Jennifer Marie

Yes, this. Well said Antonio. I agree - slow progression, tight hips, front split stretch series, and that the hollow body stuff could benefit your back troubles. May I also add trying a video form check? You may be unintentionally arching as you fatigue. I know I went through that a lot myself. Hollow body is certainly not an easy thing to master, and it's easy to slip out of it as the abs tire.

Good luck with your back. Disc issues are definitely not fun! 

 

Matt Karlin

Great.  Thanks for the suggestions.

One more clarification...I have noticed that as I tire towards the end of the hollow body hold, my low back comes off the ground more...so yes Jennifer, I'm arching.  So it sounds like you're saying that for this exercise in particular, this is proof of the weakness...and that when this happens is when the low back contraction will be more noticeable.  But as long as I'm keeping that low back on the ground, the abs will remain fully engaged with minimal L5/S1 compression?

 

Ultimately, I'm trying to do some additional stretching and exercises to help decompress that disc.  And just as important is not put additional low back stress from my current routine.  Again, sounds like keep good form and maybe just not push as much when form fails from tiring?

Mikey Cunanan
12 minutes ago, Matt Karlin said:

Great.  Thanks for the suggestions.

One more clarification...I have noticed that as I tire towards the end of the hollow body hold, my low back comes off the ground more...so yes Jennifer, I'm arching.  So it sounds like you're saying that for this exercise in particular, this is proof of the weakness...and that when this happens is when the low back contraction will be more noticeable.  But as long as I'm keeping that low back on the ground, the abs will remain fully engaged with minimal L5/S1 compression?

 

Ultimately, I'm trying to do some additional stretching and exercises to help decompress that disc.  And just as important is not put additional low back stress from my current routine.  Again, sounds like keep good form and maybe just not push as much when form fails from tiring?

Hey Matt,

The simplest answer that anyone can give is to give it time to change and adapt. Ultimately, that's the only thing that will lead to measurable improvements. 

With that said, it's best to work at a level that is slightly less than what you are currently able to do. This will allow you to adapt at a pace that is comfortable for you. This is beneficial in your case because it won't aggravate your back as long as you pick the right intensity.

Gradually work your way up, slow and steady. Over the next few months, you will gain strength in your core to support your lower back. Many times this is all that's needed.

If you feel that tightness is the issue, then the Front Split stretch course has a lot of great quad and hip flexor stretches.

Jennifer Marie

Yep, what Mikey said. :)

Slow and steady through the progressions to protect that back. And, yes, if your lower back is arching off the floor then you're not getting the full benefit of the exercise (and may be putting too much pressure on the lower back.)

I don't recall the saying in its entirety but my weightlifting coach loves to say something about "perfect practice". In other words, if you're too fatigued/distracted/whatever, to do it right, then you're doing it wrong and you're reinforcing bad habits. Stop and collect yourself -- for this exercise, you'd pause and tighten those abs and fix your pelvic tilt before continuing, so you can do the reps correctly, and only as long as you're doing them correctly.