I've been working on this PE for a while now and have noticed that my supporting shoulder fatigues well before my obliques lately. I'm curious if this is common/normal, and if there are any accessory movements I can throw in to build the shoulder endurance more in between my weekly PE3 lesson?
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
Side Over Arch - PE3
Started by Jennifer Marie, January 2, 2018 · 7 Replies · 126 Views
Hey Jennifer,
As for shoulder endurance, planks variations are good ways to build that when you have a pretty strong core. Weight work is another good way.
However, you could try to maximize this element by either doing an additional set doing only the side plank. Then, if it's too easy, give it a try with the arch ups.
You want to increase volume first in a way or another!
Try it and let us know ![]()
I think this is normal. You are using just one arm to support all the weight. The obliques, as part of the core, are probably more massive compared to just one shoulder, and probably not handling as much weight as your supporting shoulder in this particular PE. In that sense it's normal to feel the supporting shoulder fatigues first. That's just my guess. Different individuals have different development in cores and shoulders.
Hi Etienne, I've been adding a fifth set after a little bit of a rest for the past two session. Great minds!
I don't encounter this with planks, even the single-arm plank, so I think it's simply a different movement than what my shoulder would normally do. That being said, your advice of extra plank time is still intriguing because... planks!
I've been considering maybe a dumbbell lateral raise on an offset day as well. Though it's not quite the same, so more volume just may be the answer... and more patience to let that volume show results.
Hey @Jennifer Marie,
The lateral movement caused by the elevation and depression of the hips could cause a higher engagement of your shoulders. Maybe that's why normal planks doesn't affect your shoulders.
As for dumbell lifts, it can also help you if you know how to manage a good programming.
But for sure, the element additional volume is the best in this case!
4 hours ago, Jennifer Marie said:I've been working on this PE for a while now and have noticed that my supporting shoulder fatigues well before my obliques lately. I'm curious if this is common/normal, and if there are any accessory movements I can throw in to build the shoulder endurance more in between my weekly PE3 lesson?
My advice is to add 2-3 holds in the top (overarched) position to the end of your core workout, Jennifer. Avoid the weights and simply build endurance in the supported position. Once you build up to 3x60s of that hold I doubt your shoulder fatiguing will be an issue anymore. Avoid going to failure for any of these extra credit holds; quality over quantity here, as will all GST work.
Hey @Jennifer Marie. I just posted a formcheck for this element questioning exactly the same problem ... :-). Should have read this first ... but anyway, I see that I quessed right and did holds on top positions ... Thanks @Everett Carroll for your suggestions.
That sounds nice and challenging. Thanks Everett, these are on the docket tonight!