This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Stuck on PE2 Shoulder Extension for 6+ months

Started by Bill Martin, January 1, 2018 · 41 Replies · 1,810 Views

Alessandro Mainente

The progress is dependent on strength of tricep and posterior delt. your fatigue means that the chest and deltoid are very very very tight. are you currently doing the stretch series?

Kenneth Stainback

I have not been able to incorporate the stretch series as of yet. I'm sure you are hinting I need to be doing bridge work(?).

Everett Carroll
18 hours ago, Kenneth Stainback said:

Given the above, would you recommend I start using this variation and hold the bar as high as possible for time?

I suggest including both. Consider trying the facilitated version during your scheduled handstand sets and then performing a few standard set at the end of the workout. Let us know how those extra sets at the end go!

Jennifer Marie
On 3/1/2018 at 11:04 AM, Kenneth Stainback said:

I have not been able to incorporate the stretch series as of yet. I'm sure you are hinting I need to be doing bridge work(?).

The bridge stretch series has some great stretches that carry over to helping with this handstand work. Well worth the investment if you haven't picked it up already. 

Leigh Kettle

GreT thread guys cos I too am struggling with this one

rasing to 90 needs my grip so wide that I kinda feel that “dislocate “ feeling that I know means I’m too wide. But when I reduce width I can’t get up to the 90 (and all this is with an unweighted dowel) looks like I’ll be on this one some time yet. 

Gonna give Alex’s version ago see I how I go 

thanks guys 

Mark Chin

Not sure how I missed this thread before.  Here's what worked for me: I mixed slow stretches with ballistic stretches.

First set: Slow

Second set: ten ballistic reps

Third set: 5 reps slow, 5 ballistic

Fourth set: 10 slow

Fifth set: 10 ballistic

I used a light body bar for the work, either 9 or 12 pounds.  On the ballistic stretches, I didn't go crazy, just used the momentum of the bar to get slightly further than I could using strength alone. 

I got this idea from this video. This guy knows his stuff: 

 

This really paid off for me big time.  When I started this exercise the bar was glued to my butt. I honestly thought that 90 degrees was going to be *totally impossible*.  Now I can get it to 90 degrees with no momentum and am working on the agonizing details of mastery.

Coach Sommer

Good advice all around.  Well done, everyone.

Also be sure to focus on externally rotating and fully retracting the shoulders during shoulder extension work.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Leigh Kettle

@Mark Chin

hey mark great post  are you able to submit a video of how you doing this ballistic work on this particular exercise please 

many thanks 

Leigh 

Mark Chin
On 3/21/2018 at 5:19 PM, Leigh Kettle said:

@Mark Chin

hey mark great post  are you able to submit a video of how you doing this ballistic work on this particular exercise please 

many thanks 

Leigh 

You bet. Will post this week-end. 

Leigh Kettle

Awesome thanks mark @Mark Chin

Mark Chin
On 3/23/2018 at 4:16 AM, Leigh Kettle said:

Awesome thanks mark @Mark Chin

@Leigh Kettle

Here you go. It's a 12 lb bar I am using. I know the format isn't great; my head goes forward and ppt is sloppy, but for me the main point in these is getting the weight of the bar to challenge my end range of motion. 

 

Alessandro Mainente

Too fast.

1)On the shoulder extension, we are working muscles which act as stabilizer primarily. They are little and without big white muscles fibers. This means that with fast contraction you stop to use these little muscles and you finish to involve the big motor unit which takes all the work.

2)fast work involves the ability of the connective tissue to use its elastic property. if the connective tissue is not strong enough the fast movement will lead to possible injury.

2 optimal ideas for not using the "fast" approach.

Leigh Kettle

i tried your drill that you suggested alex

is this performed as you would expect 

many thanks 

Leigh 

@Alessandro Mainente

Alessandro Mainente

Very nice execution!

Leigh Kettle
3 hours ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

Very nice execution!

Thanks Alex :)

Jonathan Mitchell 233254
On 3/17/2018 at 3:31 PM, Coach Sommer said:

Good advice all around.  Well done, everyone.

Also be sure to focus on externally rotating and fully retracting the shoulders during shoulder extension work.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

So is version two here correct? I tried to let my shoulders rotate more.

Alessandro Mainente

With the T shirt is hard to judge. for sure this grip is not good for you, the shoulder extension must be showing up to 90° and the bar should be horizontal, you need to increase the grip in order to satisfy these 2 points.