This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Straddle Hollow Body Hold - unable to progress

Started by Johannes Chun, December 31, 2017 · 8 Replies · 257 Views

Johannes Chun

Morning all!

I've been doing the exercises in Foundation One for over a year now already, and have been stuck on the Straddle Hollow Body Hold for ages (literally half a year or more). I just cannot progress past 4x 48 seconds... has anyone else encountered such long and stubborn roadblocks? 

Thanks!

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Johannes, a stall point in this phase sometime occurs. from my experience a good release of the psoas and upper/middle/lower traps decrease the amount of effort necessary to hold the position.

Johannes Chun

Thank you Alessandro!

 

How would you suggest to do this release? I don't feel like my traps are the limiting factor (but of course I could be wrong!). Psoas and hip flexors could certainly be, although it always feels like it's actually the abs that are on fire (and hence the weak link)...

Alessandro Mainente

Usually when I say traps people think about neck muscles first but traps move for the upper spine to the middle/lower spine as you can see there

06_17Figurea-L.jpg

and this means that tight traps reduce the amount of spine bending ability.

Craig Copeland

Johannes:

I’ve been on Manna PE2 (straddle up and Jefferson Curls) for almost 3 years.  Only managed to touch the ground on straddle ups about 3 weeks ago. I probably have about 6 more months before I have necessary range of motion on Jefferson curls.

I couldn’t talk my way out of consequences that I’d behaved my way into (30+ years of never stretching, even though I was a competitive athlete through and after college), so I had to sit down and eat a big, big plateful of humble pie for the last 3 years. Front split and middle split series very helpful in my journey. 

Antonio Alías Montoya
11 hours ago, Craig Copeland said:

Johannes:

I’ve been on Manna PE2 (straddle up and Jefferson Curls) for almost 3 years.  Only managed to touch the ground on straddle ups about 3 weeks ago. I probably have about 6 more months before I have necessary range of motion on Jefferson curls.

I couldn’t talk my way out of consequences that I’d behaved my way into (30+ years of never stretching, even though I was a competitive athlete through and after college), so I had to sit down and eat a big, big plateful of humble pie for the last 3 years. Front split and middle split series very helpful in my journey. 

I m one year already with mn pe1, fl pe1 and spl pe1 and it will take me some time more, specially stiff leg windmills and swivel hips. I m sure mn pe2 will take me very very long! So by reading your post i don t feel alone on this. I really like you don t get discouraged and kept working! 

Jennifer Marie

The thoracic stretch program is great for those traps, and the other two stretch programs can hit the hammies/hips/etc really well.

I swear I don't get kickbacks. I just love the stretching programs. Maybe I should get a referral bonus! :-)

Johannes Chun

Thank you Alessandro and everyone!

I'll try to do more mobility and foam rolling work on the upper back then!

Leo Trinidad

I definitely agree with Alex. On some days with tight upper body from doing all the handstands, it is harder to be able to get a decent height doing hollow body hold. Releasing the tight muscles along with applying hot and cold compress will surely help and yes, never neglect your mobility.