This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Standing single leg pike — modification?

Started by Suzanna McGee, December 31, 2017 · 10 Replies · 207 Views

Suzanna McGee

I am just wondering, if it is ok to sometimes modify the standing single leg pike to this version below, where the top leg is straight up above my head. In this modified version, I feel it much more in my standing hamstring, and a lot in the top leg's hip-flexor…  and also a nice shoulder stretch, like a vertical elevated cat  :P   Am I missing something important that is in the original version and not in this?   (I am thinking maybe the quad stretch of the top leg, but I don't really feel it there at all anyway). Just curious… 

 

wall split 2017.jpg

Étienne Lajeunesse

Nice wall split Suzanna! Looking good :)

I don't really feel my quad doing the original, even tought I have some way to go for the full front split.  Good question... 

Jonas Berglund
5 hours ago, Suzanna McGee said:

I am just wondering, if it is ok to sometimes modify the standing single leg pike to this version below, where the top leg is straight up above my head. In this modified version, I feel it much more in my standing hamstring, and a lot in the top leg's hip-flexor…  and also a nice shoulder stretch, like a vertical elevated cat  :P   Am I missing something important that is in the original version and not in this?   (I am thinking maybe the quad stretch of the top leg, but I don't really feel it there at all anyway). Just curious… 

 

wall split 2017.jpg

Awesome pic Suzanna, curious to hear what coaches say.

Suzanna McGee

Anybody, please? @Everett Carroll @Alessandro Mainente

Jin Liu

I'm curious to know too!

For some reason, I felt more comfortable to straighten the non-supporting leg than to have it bend. I feel my body leaning away from the bend leg when the leg is bend, but more even weight distribution btw left and right when the leg is straight. Is it just me?

Pauline Taube

Hi Suzanna,

Nice wall split! I love this Stretch as well.

When doing the standing single leg pike you also have a strength component as it require more strength in your standing leg as you are not leaning against the wall as much with your bent leg.

I would not do one over the other but rather mix it up :) 

Jin Liu
3 hours ago, Pauline Taube said:

When doing the standing single leg pike you also have a strength component as it require more strength in your standing leg as you are not leaning against the wall as much with your bent leg.

Hi Pauline, by that do you mean the bent leg version force more weight on the supporting leg? Is it ok then to lean away from the bent leg? I’d rather not lean on one side, but I’m not sure how to correct that...

Alessandro Mainente
11 hours ago, Suzanna McGee said:

Anybody, please? @Everett Carroll @Alessandro Mainente

it is a different variation. in the full split variation, there is practically not stretch on the quads.

Suzanna McGee

@Pauline Taube, thank you, I will then mix it up, sometime this sometimes that, or sometimes both :-) 

@Alessandro Mainente when I do the bent leg version, I don't really feel it in that (bent leg's) quad anyway, and in the full split version I feel it beautifully in the hip-flexors… So I found it more beneficial, but as Pauline suggested, I guess I will do both… thank you for your input!

Jennifer Marie

This is a great shot Suzanna! Based on your time in the stretch series, I'm impressed... and inspired to keep working my hamstrings. There's hope!

Suzanna McGee
19 hours ago, Jennifer Marie said:

This is a great shot Suzanna! Based on your time in the stretch series, I'm impressed... and inspired to keep working my hamstrings. There's hope!

Thanks Jennifer… I think my biggest issue in the Front Split are the super tight hip-flexors. If/when they let go, it is going to be so so so much better. I am planning to do some extra work for them this coming season, and see if I can "tame" them  :-)