This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Under Load (the most rewarding of the three loads)

Started by Stephen Desrosiers, December 30, 2017 · 8 Replies · 286 Views

Stephen Desrosiers

Hey guys,

Wanted to give my input regarding the "under load" stage our bodies go through from training.

First off, I want to say that I've been consistent with GST for about one and a half years. All three stretch series for slightly less because I started them a bit later. Before starting the GB program, I had minor biceps tendinitis in my right arm, instability issues with my left shoulder, some slight issues with my left knee and pretty much F$@#ed up hips(to put it blatantly). For years I suffered from chronic "lower back" pain, that I've now learned was actually weak gluts/tight hips masquerading itself as low back pain. Since starting GST, all those issues are COMPLETELY gone, except for my hips which are taking a bit longer. Every couple months I feel more and more improvement in them though.

I want to bring up the over load, load and under load subject we heard @Coach Sommer talk about in his podcasts. Even though I've made great progress since starting GST, I've felt like my body is fighting itself. Almost like taking one step back, two steps forward. I'm progressing, but it doesn't feel efficient and I've always felt kind of wiped out. After hearing Coach talk about the three load stages to Tim Ferriss on one of the podcasts, I realized my body's been constantly in the over load stage from progressing too quickly and not giving my body time to adapt. Constantly wiped out and terrible muscle contractions are the best ways of putting it. I assume this is a result of CNS and/or adrenal fatigue.

Coach said to Tim that under load is always where people cut it short and this is completely true with me. After hearing this, I decided to take 3 weeks of steps backwards in both Foundation and Handstand training. I decided to go back a few weeks because where I was at was too difficult for where my body's at. Pretty much the last few reps of most sets were grinding reps with less than ideal form. Where I'm at now, my muscles are definitely tired, but my quality/form is a hell of a lot better. I've also kept the number of reps/sets EXACTLEY the same for the last 3 weeks. This is what I've experienced from doing this:

1: I'm feeling a little bit stronger with each workout I do.

2: I have MUCH better muscular contractions. I noticed this a lot with ring rows.

3: I'm actually sleeping better.

4: My overall excitement with going into each training session has improved and I just don't feel so burnt out all the time.

Super encouraged because I'm feeling what it's like to really give my body/nervous system time to catch up. And its only been three weeks of taking this approach! 

Would love to hear others feedback on this! Feel free to follow me on Instagram as well, @sdesrosiers86. Love networking with others interested in GST! 

Stephen

Étienne Lajeunesse

Hey Stephen,

Thanks for bringing this up! It's an inspiring story you have there!  And it's an interesting point I tend to forget too.  Sometimes I push too much too soon as you. 

It's funny because I had a middle split training today and it was the first time I didn't try to push myself into stretch but instead by letting my body go.  I never felt as good as I was at the end of my training today!

Letting a period of underload helps a lot for the body to recover and push stronger afterward.

I'll keep doing the same!

Let's keep up :)

Stephen Desrosiers
3 hours ago, Étienne Lajeunesse said:

Hey Stephen,

Thanks for bringing this up! It's an inspiring story you have there!  And it's an interesting point I tend to forget too.  Sometimes I push too much too soon as you. 

It's funny because I had a middle split training today and it was the first time I didn't try to push myself into stretch but instead by letting my body go.  I never felt as good as I was at the end of my training today!

Letting a period of underload helps a lot for the body to recover and push stronger afterward.

I'll keep doing the same!

Let's keep up :)

We all tend to over do it! The body is gonna take as long as it's gonna take to adapt...our job is to work with our body, not against it! ;)

Étienne Lajeunesse
1 hour ago, Stephen Desrosiers said:

We all tend to over do it! The body is gonna take as long as it's gonna take to adapt...our job is to work with our body, not against it! ;)

You're absolutely right!

Everett Carroll

Thanks for posting this, Stephen. It's always nice to see people recognizing the importance of recovery. For many, myself included, resting will always be the toughest part of training. A little extra rest has never hurt me, even when it has been unscheduled. If you're consistent with your training and working hard, this will likely always be the case and is something I'm constantly reminding myself and my clients.

Étienne Lajeunesse
23 minutes ago, Everett Carroll said:

A little extra rest has never hurt me, even when it has been unscheduled. If you're consistent with your training and working hard, this will likely always be the case and is something I'm constantly reminding myself and my clients.

Nailed it! It's crazy how we tend to underestimate our recovery!

Suzanna McGee
3 hours ago, Everett Carroll said:

resting will always be the toughest part of training.

oh yes yes… so true!

Jennifer Marie

Great post, and timely. I'm in the same mind frame I was in this time last year -- I'm tired and worn, but I just want to make it through March's Open tests and then I'll rest. But, now you have me considering a week or two of rest so I can be refreshed for the Open.

Thanks for sharing Stephen!

Stephen Desrosiers
4 hours ago, Jennifer Marie said:

Great post, and timely. I'm in the same mind frame I was in this time last year -- I'm tired and worn, but I just want to make it through March's Open tests and then I'll rest. But, now you have me considering a week or two of rest so I can be refreshed for the Open.

Thanks for sharing Stephen!

Finding that perfect balance of training and recovery takes some experimenting because everyone's body is different. A good rule of thumb I've been using, is if I'm getting weaker, exhausted, burnt out ect...then I'm obviously screwing up. ;) If you can see that you're stronger/more mobile now than you were 6 months ago, then you're moving in the right direction!