This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Age and Height - A couple questions about expectations

Started by Zach Nielsen, December 28, 2017 · 6 Replies · 311 Views

Zach Nielsen

Hey GST Family,

I am 41 years old and 6'2".  I have been doing GST for about 20 months now and LOVE it.   To give a little background, I was always decently athletic (nothing elite or anything) as a younger person but never stretched seriously a day in my life.  I was (and am) very very brittle.  On a forward bend I could only reach the middle of my shins.  Now I can do much better (thanks GST!)

I was wondering if there are any people out there with experience as someone like me or coaching someone like me.  My first question is concerning soreness.  I am pretty much sore all the time.  I don't mind this as it's something I am used to now, but just wondering what my expectations should be.  I do four different workouts once a week.  Upper body, thoracic bridge, middle split, and core.  Then I mix in two 30 minute HIIT workouts per week for cardio as well.  

Second, I know my height makes the physics of these movements more challenging.  Will things just take me longer?  Should I expect to be able to do some of the advanced movement given consistent training in the next decade?  Are there people out there that are my height that can do advanced GST movements?  Especially the strength elements?

Also, concerning plateaus.  Is there a definitive GST guide to busting through plateaus?  If not, that would be a great article or series to run for anyone on the GST staff.  Just one bit of feedback.  But if you all know of any solid sources on how to break through plateaus I would love that.  They seem to be something I am finding quite a bit in my training.  

I would appreciate any feedback any of you have.  Thanks!

Zach

Rayne-William Fitzgerald

Generally speaking regardless of stature and or weight, physics has the same influence on everyone.

1. The time your body needs before it can do a chosen task is irrelevant.  Regardless of desire or wishful thinking the human body is going to take as long as needed to recover completely. With consistent training, anyone is capable of doing the advanced gymnastic elements.

2. There are fairly tall, senior national gymnasts. Two well known examples:  Wikipedia.org: Kristian Thomas, Wikipedia.org: Louis Smith   For other examples that are not as well known. Stickitmedia.com "Tall Gymnasts" is no Oxymoron

3. Busting plateaus is a matter of allowing your body to develop what is needed. Strength based plateaus the body often needs more tendon development. Busting an endurance based plateau is a different matter and still requires patience.

Previous threads:

1. General Public forum: Getting started- "How far can taller people get with GST"
2. General Public forum: Getting started- "Don't Use Height As An Excuse!"
3. General Public forum: Getting started- "motivation for the taller guys"
4. General Public forum: Basic strength- "Is size just an excuse?"
5. General Public forum: Basic strength- "More easy for small people than tall?"
 

Étienne Lajeunesse

Hi Zach,

GB will help in so many ways for your physical development!

For your soreness, what's your schedule? Maybe you don't give enough rest to your body and can't recover well.  Try not to workout on sore muscles since it could slow down the recovery.  Watch how you eat and sleep too, these could play huge roles on how you perform afterward.

I can't do advanced techniques yet and I'm 6', but I don't think it will slow your progression. The consistency and your forms will make the difference.  In anyways, look at it as a big fun adventure rather than a point A to point B training.  It's a long process that demands a lot of patience. But I assure you, it's possible!!!

There are many threads on how to overcome plateaus.  Look around the forum!

Hope it helps :)

Alessandro Mainente

The height can be a problem when the weight distribution it is normal. Height it is a less important factor when the weight it is not equally distributed on the body segment. A confirm of that it is the comparison of 2 mine clients:

-one of them it is 210 cm and 100 kg, he is a reverse pyramid. all the body muscles are in the upper body. he has front lever and straddle planche.

-one it is 200 cm and 96 kg, with a past of football player and a lot of muscles in the lower body, he struggles with tuck planche and straddle front lever.

Chris Toynbee

Hi Zach,

Could I ask you about your two 30 minute HIIT workouts? 

I'd like to add in some cardio and I'd be keen to try your workout if it's working for you (with GB).

Cheers!

Chris Toynbee

Thanks for the tip!