This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Supine shoulder extension and shoulder mobility

Started by Fiona Silk, December 27, 2017 · 6 Replies · 141 Views

Fiona Silk

Hi all,

I've just started the TB program. Whilst my biceps are no doubt tight, I can really feel the supine shoulder extensions in my forearms (recovering calisthenics athlete at your service!). I feel like that's the thing that's making them feel so hard, and to struggle to get my hands together.

Could this really be the case? And if so, do you have any suggestions of things I could do to loosen them up before I start the series?

Thanks for your help.

Fi

Étienne Lajeunesse

Hi Fiona,

Your whole arms are being worked on when stretching the shoulders, so it could be one big thing yeah.

You could foam roll your forearms and use a ball on your palm to help relax your muscles.

But priorities a progressive intensity by starting lightly.  Don't push too hard and go to where your body enables you to go.  With time, your arms and shoulders will loosen up. 

Consistency, many of us could tell you that :)

Everett Carroll

Hey Fiona,

Great advice from Etienne here. It might also help to perform the wrist stretches from Handstand One prior to beginning the series. Give that a shot and let us know how it goes!

Jennifer Marie

I second Everett's suggestion of the handstand warmups. I love those stretches.

Also, don't be discouraged if you can't get your hands together at first. Keep stretching where you can reach. I couldn't touch my hands together for probably five months, and then at that point I started using a Pilates band around my wrists otherwise my hands would slide apart during the stretch. It takes time, but consistent practice will get you there.

Fiona Silk

Great - thanks guys! I'll do some rolling and the HS1 stretches and try not to stress it.

I guess there's no harm in doing this stretch a few times a week? I think it's probably the one from the TB series that could benefit me the most at this moment in time.

Thanks!

ALLISON BENDER

Hey Fi, me too. Thanks for asking the question. I am going to try the suggestions as well and will let you know!

Luke Searra

Please keep us updated on your progress, and progress pictures are always welcome Allison!