Hi coaches,
For those of you who do private training, how do you screen your clients? Do you use GB exercises like the quadrupedal movements?
Thanks!
Started by Étienne Lajeunesse, December 27, 2017 · 13 Replies · 3,637 Views
Hi coaches,
For those of you who do private training, how do you screen your clients? Do you use GB exercises like the quadrupedal movements?
Thanks!
Generally, the mobility deficits are the primary screening and I'm used to doing tests with a PT which works paired with me in all the occasions where a new client wants to begin a bodyweight/ GST journey. Screening movement can be a choice but you need after to understand where limitations are located. the ability to understand immediately problems it is something which occurs with years of experience.
On 27/12/2017 at 9:37 AM, Alessandro Mainente said:Generally, the mobility deficits are the primary screening and I'm used to doing tests with a PT which works paired with me in all the occasions where a new client wants to begin a bodyweight/ GST journey. Screening movement can be a choice but you need after to understand where limitations are located. the ability to understand immediately problems it is something which occurs with years of experience.
Hi Alessandro,
So you're saying you don't have specific assessment test? You go with what you see?
Well, as stated when you have a lot of experience you can understand shoulder limitations only by seeing how arms are moved during the warmup during a simple arms rotation. then no matter my supposition, specific tests are made. I do not leave anything to the case.
I do the physical preparation and injury prevention for tennis players. Like Alessandro, I just watch them while they are moving, walking, standing, a few squats, a few standing on one leg, lift the arms over head, and boom, you pretty much see the majority of all the issues they have :-)
(and I've been doing it for a long time, at least 20+ years, so I think the experience makes things easier)
Thanks @Alessandro Mainente and @Suzanna McGee!
Actually, I do have an assessment protocol for my clients. It looks comparable to what you do Suzanna. Hi was just curious to see if GB or you coaches had some protocols on your own!
Thanks ![]()
3 hours ago, Suzanna McGee said:I do the physical preparation and injury prevention for tennis players. Like Alessandro, I just watch them while they are moving, walking, standing, a few squats, a few standing on one leg, lift the arms over head, and boom, you pretty much see the majority of all the issues they have :-)
(and I've been doing it for a long time, at least 20+ years, so I think the experience makes things easier)
1
absolutely!
I would actually like to hear of some concrete assessment or evaluation tools if anyone has any? I know the FMS exists, but I was hoping there would be a better assessment tool from some GB coaches?
I get what you guys have all said about years of experience and watching individuals since I have found that over my short career I can see things much easier and quicker than before. However, if there were movement progressions that a GB coach takes a new client through that would be really helpful to know.
HI Adam , one of my best friend who wrote a book with Tudor Bompa gives me some slides in the past about a 2016 Olympic symposium in China. on this occasion was shown a long study about the FMS application, they showed that it reduces the risk of injury of only the 30%. this means that 2 athletes in a group of 3 can get injured. the final result it is that the FMS it is a limited tool evaluation.
My screening it is pretty simple. the joints range of motion test. remember that without a range of motion all the movements are full of compensations.
Hey Alessandro, thanks for the reply. Sorry, I didn't see it till now, I never got a notification of any response. Any chance you could cite that study?
I'm definitely not in favor of the FMS, so I was not advocating for it. Just pointing out it exists. I am curious about any other assessment or screen protocols though. I definitely agree with you on simply assessing a joints full range of motion. Sadly, that answer won't fly in my Master's program on its own. But absolutely, a compromised range of motion will result in compensations, for sure.
HI Adam, I have some images with the results of the study but I cannot share them. is a private material given to me by one of the mentors invited to the convention.
Hey Alessandro, totally understandable. I am not asking for images or anything like that. If the research was published though, if you could simply cite the research I would like to read it. Thanks.
I do not have access to the research name, i have only some images from the conference.
Okay, thanks then.