This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

De loading when combining foundations 1 & 2

Started by Ryan Segervall, December 26, 2017 · 11 Replies · 161 Views

Ryan Segervall

I know for foundations 1 de loads are not prescribed however what happens when you have some elements in foundations 2 and 3 while others are still in foundations 1. 

My guess is to start incorporating de loads every fourth week  to keep up with some of the higher intensity strength work in the foundations 2 and 3 elements, but wanted to check in and see what some of the coaches had to say

Jeffrey Bittner

Hey Ryan,

We typically recommend making the transition to deload weeks when more than half of your exercises are in F2. However, if you feel you need to make the transition sooner, go ahead.

Ryan Segervall
On 12/26/2017 at 8:06 PM, Jeffrey Bittner said:

Hey Ryan,

We typically recommend making the transition to deload weeks when more than half of your exercises are in F2. However, if you feel you need to make the transition sooner, go ahead.

Thanks for the advice Jeffrey. I currently only have my Sl and SLS progressions in the foundations 2 and 3 curriculum so based off that I might not need de loads yet.

However I do have some additional climbing and barbell volume on top of my GST work so it leaves me a bit conflicted. I feel at least some of my volume should be tapered once a month to prevent injury and over fatigue. Thoughts? 

- also note progress has been really good the past several months on everything except my upper body bent arm work (RC PE2 and HBP PE2 have been stuck on 4x6 for a while now) 

 

Two week split looks like such 

Week1

Sun: Climb 

Mon: Barbell work ( Deadlift) , SLS, SL, MN

Tue: Front Split

Wed: RC, HBP, SPL, MN H1

Thur: Climb

Fri: Barbell work( backsquat) SLS, SL, MN

Sat: Thoracic

 

Week2

Sun: Middle split

Mon: RC, HBP, SPL, MN, H1

Tue: Front Split

Wed: Barbell work (Deadlift), SLS, SL, MN

Thur: Climb 

Fri: RC, HBP, SPL, MN H1

Sat: Thoracic 

 

Michael Vetter

Hi @Ryan Segervall, I would like to ask you some questions :)

- When did you include the Barbell work?

- How did you do decode on how many sets/reps/which exercise?

Ryan Segervall
4 minutes ago, Michael Vetter said:

Hi @Ryan Segervall, I would like to ask you some questions :)

- When did you include the Barbell work?

- How did you do decode on how many sets/reps/which exercise?

I started including barbell work about 6 weeks ago once I was onto foundations 3 for my lower body work. 

 

I simply follow the GB progressions. Pick a weight (for me. 100%bw) and slowly increase volume to 5x5. Once 5x5 is mastered then increase load decrease reps then work your way back to 5x5. 

 

Reasoning for adding it in is to build some additional strength in the legs and also get more practice in so I can be more qualified to teach clients once I start working as a personal trainer. 

Michael Vetter

Thanks @Ryan Segervall, I still have some way to go to get to foundations 3 ;)

 

So it's good to know that the barbell stuff will come there. This means I probably dont have to experiment with that myself yet (F1).

Ryan Segervall
Just now, Michael Vetter said:

Thanks @Ryan Segervall, I still have some way to go to get to foundations 3 ;)

 

So it's good to know that the barbell stuff will come there. This means I probably dont have to experiment with that myself yet (F1).

Yea i would definitely hold off on any barbell work for now. F1 and F2 will prep range of motion necessary to start safely doing full range of motion back squats and deads, ect. 

However back squats and deadlifts arent in the GST curriculum but are amazing exercise to add in on the side once youve preped structures accordingly.

Admittedly I am probably jumping the gun and should wait until F4. However as mentioned before I could use some additional practice with these movements so I can be equipt to coach them to clients. 

And i will say after making coming back to them after spending the time to go through F1-3 things are feeling really good! 

 

Hope this helps!

Étienne Lajeunesse
21 minutes ago, Ryan Segervall said:

I started including barbell work about 6 weeks ago once I was onto foundations 3 for my lower body work. 

 

I simply follow the GB progressions. Pick a weight (for me. 100%bw) and slowly increase volume to 5x5. Once 5x5 is mastered then increase load decrease reps then work your way back to 5x5. 

 

Reasoning for adding it in is to build some additional strength in the legs and also get more practice in so I can be more qualified to teach clients once I start working as a personal trainer. 

Hey Ryan,

Are you only doing the F4 SLS progressions?  

I've been a private trainer for 2 years now and GB helped me so much on how to coach the techniques!  A good way to learn :)

Étienne Lajeunesse

You've answered my question right before I asked ahah

Michael Vetter

Thanks for the clarification Ryan!

Ryan Segervall
2 minutes ago, Étienne Lajeunesse said:

You've answered my question before I asked ahah

half way through F3 at the moment. Started F1 at the beginning of the year :) 

Étienne Lajeunesse
3 minutes ago, Ryan Segervall said:

half way through F3 at the moment. Started F1 at the beginning of the year :) 

Nice progress Ryan! Keep working hard and you'll be at the barbell part :)