This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

MN PE2

Started by Bronwyn Higgins, December 26, 2017 · 23 Replies · 427 Views

Bronwyn Higgins

 

Do I need to touch the floor with my hands? Keep working until my straddle is wider? Thank you!

Alessandro Mainente

hey Bronwyn, couple of tips for you:

-try to reach the floor in between your legs on every reps;

-slow down the speed of the repetitions. controlled movements first.

Matthias Schwartz

Bronwyn, on this one, the follow-along video tempo is useful to match. You'll see that the tempo and range are controlled and smooth.

Bronwyn Higgins

thanks guys! I am definitely having a hard time reaching the floor. will slow down and try for more control as well. happy new year everyone!

Bronwyn Higgins

Have been trying to control more. I think it’s better. Also added weight to the Jefferson curl. Mmmmmm feel the burn!!! 

 

 

 

Étienne Lajeunesse

Hi again,

On this one, for the JC, keep the bar close to you, to your legs. :)

Bronwyn Higgins

Thanks Etienne, 

Quick question re: closer to my legs:

2 hours ago, Étienne Lajeunesse said:

Hi again,

On this one, for the JC, keep the bar close to you, to your legs. :)

To accomplish this, should I be actively pulling the bar in towards my legs instead of letting gravity do the work? It was my understanding that as long as the chin is tucked, and you are moving (curling, as it were) vertebrae by vertebrae, that gravity would do the work, and eventually the bar will hang closer to the legs as a product of the spine becoming more mobile. I guess my question is better stated as: should the hang be passive or active? (I know from my hamstrings that the raising of the bar is very active...!)

Keilani Gutierrez

the focus of the jefferson is to articulate the spine. the hands are simply attached to the weight. :) as long as you curl correctly, let the weight do what it wants to do. 

Étienne Lajeunesse
4 hours ago, Keilani Gutierrez said:

 as long as you curl correctly, let the weight do what it wants to do. 

Hey Keilani,

Sorry, but didn't heard the same thing... let's make sure 

@Alessandro Mainente?

Keilani Gutierrez
4 hours ago, Étienne Lajeunesse said:

Hey Keilani,

Sorry, but didn't heard the same thing... let's make sure 

@Alessandro Mainente?

overthinking. :) it's a spinal articulation exercise to condition the tissues of the spine.

it's not a deadlift, it's not a weighted forward bend.

it's a weighted spinal articulation.

Alessandro Mainente
3 hours ago, Keilani Gutierrez said:

overthinking. :) it's a spinal articulation exercise to condition the tissues of the spine.

it's not a deadlift, it's not a weighted forward bend.

it's a weighted spinal articulation.

 

it's a weighted spinal articulation.

lovely definition!

Étienne Lajeunesse

@Keilani Gutierrez

Yeah! Of course it is ahah

But, without overthinking this, Alex literally told me to keep the weight close to me.  

Is it still the case @Alessandro Mainente? And why? 

Alessandro Mainente

The far the weight from the body the higher the leverage on the spine joint parts, quite simple. try to hold 5 kg on your elbows with the arms extended in front of you and after on the hand. how much higher is the perceived intensity?

Étienne Lajeunesse

@Alessandro Mainente,

Ok yeah, I understand the leverage, so, is it good or bad in this case, for the JC?  Which position is best? Far or close to the body?

Keilani Gutierrez
6 hours ago, Étienne Lajeunesse said:

@Alessandro Mainente,

Ok yeah, I understand the leverage, so, is it good or bad in this case, for the JC?  Which position is best? Far or close to the body?

there are different cues to solve different issues. 

this is why when you see posts of Coach Sommer spotting a JC, you can see his hands lightly touching the spine. 

if you put your mind in your spine, it articulates successfully. if you place your mind at the hands, you’ll do anything possible to accomplish that objective. 

usually when I think of the hands, I get soft in the abs or stop touching my chin to my chest. 

 

Alessandro Mainente
9 hours ago, Étienne Lajeunesse said:

@Alessandro Mainente,

Ok yeah, I understand the leverage, so, is it good or bad in this case, for the JC?  Which position is best? Far or close to the body?

in this case I cannot suggest to move the weight far from the body simply because i do not know anything about students spine and I need to be conservative.

Bronwyn Higgins

@Étienne Lajeunesse

@Alessandro Mainente

Going to post 2 separate videos to the thread - 

1) the straddle up: I have slowed it down from before (see above), but am not sure if it’s controlled enough to advance to 15reps  

2) the Jefferson curl in question. This week I tried to keep it as close as I possibly could without actually pulling the towards me. You can see that my lower back needs to gain some mobility, and I think that might be why it can’t hold the weight much closer. Thoughts? Try to pull closer to the body, or let the vertebrae take their time? 

THANK you all for your Input! 

 

Alessandro Mainente

The ability to hold the weight closer to your body has nothing to do with your posterior chain mobility per se, because everyone ,no matter the mobility, has the necessity to move the shoulder forward. But for this reason, you need to pull actively the weight to the legs.

Bronwyn Higgins

That definitely clears up the confusion. Thank you @Alessandro Mainente and @Étienne Lajeunesse for your thoughtful input! Will try to improve :-)

Étienne Lajeunesse

Thanks @Alessandro Mainente! 

Bronwyn Higgins

Straddle ups check! @Alessandro Mainente, @Étienne Lajeunesse @Keilani Gutierrez

 

Bronwyn Higgins

And the famous jefferson curl.... 

 

Alessandro Mainente

hi Bronwyn, for the PE I prefer a slower tempo.

For the IM hold the bar always in contact with the body if possible.

Bronwyn Higgins

okay. will keep working on slowing down and contact, respectively. thanks!