This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Intro to Thrive

Started by Jennifer Marie, December 26, 2017 · 3 Replies · 224 Views

Jennifer Marie

Good day fellow athletes!

I've been biding my time until I could buy Thrive and try it out. I've tried a variety of my own research and experimentation when it comes to food, but as I've learned through the other GB programs, being accountable to a check box online seems to help keep my good intentions on track to good habits a little better than just telling myself I'll do it.

I'm a bit surprised this part of the forum is so quiet. I was really hoping for recipe sharing, best practices to meet the goals, and more of the like. I'm curious -- are most of you veterans to Thrive at this point? Or perhaps there are a bunch of quiet people, lurking, waiting for someone chatty to get some threads started? :P

I do have one question for the veterans --

Because I've come a long ways in eating healthy on my own, part of my delay in purchasing this module was concern that I wouldn't learn anything new. $99 is a lot just to keep me on track since I'm an expert at bargaining my way out of such things. I'd hoped to peek ahead at the routines like I did for Foundations, to make sure it was something I'd find useful (while I still have a chance to request a refund if it wasn't anything new to me). So please tell me, if you don't mind, have any of you come to Thrive feeling fairly confident in eating habits but struggling to find that perfect balance for fueling the body? And if so, how useful (and how quickly) did you find Thrive for fine-tuning that journey?

I feel I'm probably 85% there knowledge-wise, and maybe 70% there dedication and consistency-wise.

PS I'm especially curious about the "older" veterans. I'm over 40 myself.

John Mashni

Hi Jennifer!  I am hardly an expert, and I rarely have time to post.  I took Thrive nearly a year ago.  I worked entirely through the course as well.  I am 38 years old.  I have tried many different types of diets, but Thrive is by far my favorite.  As of today, I am the leanest I have been in 10 years -- thanks to Thrive (measuring using body fat calipers).  Plus, I have more confidence in my diet than ever before.  

I find it hard to give dietary advice, but if someone were to ask me for advice, I would politely decline and just say enroll in Thrive and follow it precisely.  I have nothing else to add. 

The course definitely presents great information but marries that with a process that is amazing as long as you keep yourself honest.  Consistency and mastering the basics is what the course covers.  After fighting this initially, I now wholeheartedly agree with the message, format, and tone of the course.  Master the basics by demonstrating consistency.  If you are not consistent, then you do not have the basics mastered, regardless of knowledge.  I have found message in the other GB courses as well.  

I still aim to follow the daily habits that I learned in Thrive.  I love it because it is sustainable.  Plus, it is not a short-term diet.  It is a lifelong diet.  I am noticing benefits even now, a year later.  Good luck!

Kai Ewert

Hi Jennifer, 

I'm no veteran of Thrive (also just started) but I have some thoughts:

Regarding the price: $99 may seem a lot all at once, but I suspect if you were to put a dollar in a jar for every day you feel you got value out of Thrive you may bring that back in quickly and feel good about it. That's based on me also feeling I had no huge deficits in the nutrition department and now being at step 4. 

Regarding the forums: seems like there may be a lot fewer students in Thrive than in the other courses, plus because there are few threads maybe it's easier to find answers without starting your own thread? And the condescending style of the answers also doesn't inspire questions let alone discussion...

Jennifer Marie

Hi Kai, Interesting thought. I'm at a dollar per day point yet. So far, my need to click obsessively has me drinking water on my rest day, which is a small benefit, but I'm not coping with the no-carbs at breakfast well given my breakfast used to be a protein shake with a banana blended in. However, I'm giving it an honest shake, keeping myself to the rules in spirit and not just literally. 

I hadn't thought about that... the answers here are a little more black and white, and no form checks to worry about. Can you imagine form checks in this thread? It'd be Instagram. "Here's a photo of my dinner? Can I get a "like"?" Haha! 

Happy Thriving!