This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

GST: The Long Game Question

Started by Søkier Kegren, December 25, 2017 · 9 Replies · 497 Views

Søkier Kegren

I currently do F1 (Upper, Core, Lower), Middle Split, and Front Split. In mid-April 2018, however, I'm quitting my job to backpack Southeast Asia and Europe, study language, and write in remote, quiet regions. I won't have stable gym access again until winter 2019. I will not be able to pack rings and blocks, as I am ultra-light packing. Bodyweight movements (pullups, pushups, and GST exercises not requiring equipment) will be my routine. 

My question is whether I discontinue with GST, knowing it will abruptly stop in four months. I could possibly continue the Stretch Series during my travels, but I depend heavily on blocks right now. 

Stated differently: is GST primarily a long game? Would it be better to wait until life is stable and consistent? Will a 1 year gap wipe out whatever I gained between now and April? 

Here are my options as I see them: 

Option 1: Continue F1, MS, FS until April, possibly continuing MS and FS during my travels. 

Option 2: Discontinue F1 immediately, and focus intently on the Stretch Series for at least four more months. 

Option 3: Discontinue all GST and return to it once I can be consistent. 

I'd appreciate seeing other options, and the feedback of those who have traveled during GST. Has anyone else balanced a Bohemian adventure with GST? 

Tanya Hill

What a wonderful journey ahead for you in 2018!! I would definitely work on your GST up until the day you leave, your body will feel so good when you are ready for departure. I am a world traveler myself and I try my best to keep up with the basics of Foundations during my travels, it is harder to be as consistent but you can do a little a day. 

The stretch courses are such a wonderful traveling tool, take them with you and keep at it! :)

Antonio Alías Montoya

I see no reason to stop training when you are traveling, simply adapt to it and take it easier, which means don t feel frustated if sometimes things doesn t work. You can train almost every F1 element with no equipment at all and if don t get access to rings, train some pull ups when you find a bar.

Life is never stable and consistent, we just pretend it is and it might seem so for some time. If training is important to you keep doing it whatever the situation is, just have a relaxed attitude towards your goals.

Bas Albinus

@Antonio Alías Montoya pretty much nailed it! 
 No need to overthink, just make due with what you have. I just went backpacking for 3months and had to improvise my training session every other day. But I brought the rings, some resistance bands and a lacrosse ball to make sure I can keep doing  my shoulder rehab exercises and fascia release. Though I sometimes regretted having to carry the extra weight, I was always more than happy to get a good training session in. The only "problem" was lack of internet access so I couldn't log my training or have the stretch videos at hand to follow along.
If you don't want to pack your set of rings, you could make due with just 1 strap(or a rope etc). That can be used  for pulling exercises, arch ups, GHR or as stretch straps and so on. 
Btw, stretching has been the best and most fun on sandy beaches. Enjoy!

Søkier Kegren

@Bas Albinus @Antonio Alías Montoya @Tanya Hill Thanks for the great replies. Call it a personal weakness, but I too often view things as all or nothing. I'd love to keep training abroad. I can research some foreign meetups on here. 

 

Lucy Criddle

Hi @Søkier Kegren 

I recently did a huge round-the-world journey, and feel your concern! Sad to say that I didn't master how to maintain the programme, especially as I was mostly on the move and not in one place, but would like to echo what the others say about stretching; especially if you will be spending long periods in transit. 

What I wanted to mention is that if you are in SE Asia, definitely try to call in on Bodytree GST in Singapore! I trained there for the first half of this year and it's a lovely crew, associated with gymnastic bodies. You could get your GB fix there, as well as in Manila with @Leo Trinidad, if you pass through the Philippines! Bali has a couple of crossfit gyms, where you could use the equipment too, if you prefer to keep out of the cities.

Enjoy!

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

Fitness is a long game, but so is life. Your question is strange. You don’t need anyone’s permission to do whatever you want, nor however you want to do it. So, do whatever you want. People who only live and breathe gymnastics practically live at the gym. But that’s not suitable for most people so why bother trying to graft that onto your life or demand it of yourself that you follow that structure when clearly that isn’t suitable for your lifestyle for the next while. 

I don’t see why you need to worry SO much, man. You’ll be in Europe and Asia for like 18 months. We should be asking you how we can get to that point, lol. Exercise doesn’t need to be so exacting.

Anyways, SLS, MN, FL, HBP, and RC, require almost zero equipment. Same goes for the stretch series. So, just keep doing them as able. No reason why you couldn’t do a quick 45 minute strength workout with one of the core exercises, upper body exercises, and then the lower body; and then each of the stretch series. You could do 5 45 minute sessions M-F and have that be that and still make progress. 

Søkier Kegren

@Daniel Taylor-Shaut I was not seeking permission, but rather gathering a variety of perspectives on the relative value of consistency. I'd love to tailor a program around my travels and keep the progress going. What you described is very feasible. 

@Lucy Criddle Thank you for the great regional suggestions! Those are the kind of connections I'll need. 

@Rayne-William Fitzgerald The links were very helpful. I'll incorporate that info into my trip planning. 

Suzanna McGee

I think you can keep up with your training, maybe a somehow lighter version… I believe (just my personal opinion) that training is health… our health doesn't take vacations. If you train, even so little, you will feel better—physically and mentally. Sometimes when things are hard (like training while traveling) and you do it anyway, it will empower you…  Look at many athletes, they travel sometimes all year around, and still fit everything in.  Enjoy your vacation and all the new environments and people… and training in new places :-) how cool is that!