This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Straddle running man form/equipment/execution

Started by Andreas Manousakis, December 24, 2017 · 4 Replies · 183 Views

Andreas Manousakis

A few questions about the form/equipment/execution of the straddle running man:

1. What are the disadvantages of not using the straps as illustrated in the follow along video?

2. What is the optimal position of the pelvis? Posterior pelvic tilt, anterior pelvic tilt or neutral?

3. In the follow along video, the athletes do 10 reps per leg. However, according to a post I found, which dates back to 2016, 5 reps per leg should be done. How many should we do?

Thanks in advance. :) 

Alessandro Mainente

HI ANdreas, i'll try to be accurate:

-the more you can support all the upper body the less you can use the lumbar muscles instead of the glutes

-if you open the legs no more than 90°..PPT.

-in case of doubts follow the follow along videos.

Raul Perez

Hi Alessandro,

so ... the goal in this exercise should be to use more the lumbar muscles or the glutes ... ?

Straps > lumbar muscles more active

Box or similar > more glutes activation

... ?

 

Jon Douglas
4 minutes ago, Raul Perez said:

Hi Alessandro,

so ... the goal in this exercise should be to use more the lumbar muscles or the glutes ... ?

Straps > lumbar muscles more active

Box or similar > more glutes activation

... ?

 

Glutes use is the goal.

The straps require more tension through the core to get the same isolated glute activation. In that sense I guess they are actually sort of more difficult.

Harder to APT on the strap, easy and tempting to do so on the box.

Jon Douglas

Incidentally following a broken foot and subsequent hip rehab (I'm fine and should be cleared for tumbling again on Monday) I have been doing a near identical drill on the pilates reformer. The physio was over the moon to discover someone who knew what apt/ppt was and the importance in glute activation for hip stability.

(I didn't, but my body automatically went to alignment so I looked badass. Reinforced to me the sophistication of the progressive mobility; as you progress to less stable setups it's on you to maintain the same lines that were (relatively) easy when you were draped over a box :))