This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Scaling: Cannot get into elevated bridge

Started by Andrew Wilson 226962, December 23, 2017 · 12 Replies · 368 Views

Andrew Wilson 226962

I just started the stretch series, and I just cannot get into the elevated bridge. I takes all my strength just to get there, and when I do, all the pressure is still in my lower back. I think it is mostly a mobility issue, though I have never done much upside down work. Do you have any further suggestions for scaling this? I don't want to give up!

Jeffrey Bittner

Hi Andrew,

It is okay if you are not able to do an elevated bridge yet. Like you said, your flexibility needs some work before you will be ready for this progression. As you focus on the earlier progressions in the course your elevated bridge will get easier. You are welcome to include one or two key stretches into your daily warm up and cool down. Elevated Cat and Inverted Cat are two of my favorite to include. You are also welcome to upload a video. Doing so will help us to give you even better feedback.

Sean Schade

I don’t want to hijack this thread, but was about to ask a similar question regarding elevated bridge push-ups. I too don’t have the strength to get into elevated bridge let alone do push-ups or taps.

This is how I have been scaling all of the elevated bridge work. I use a theraball to support my lower back, and take a considerable amount of weight off the exercises. I still have my feet elevated as well to take out the lumbar portion. Is this an appropriate way to scale these exercises, or am I wasting time and effort? I can’t really get my chest out in front of my arms using the theraball, but without some sort of assistance I lack the push strength at the moment to get up into the position.

The Thoracic Bridge Series is by far the most difficult session I do all week, but I am seeing amazing progress on mobility. 

Pauline Taube

Hi Sean,

As Jeffrey mentioned above, the best way to get accurate feedback is by uploading a picture/video of your attempt. You may need to spend the first couple of weeks/months working on the first part of the TB series (before the bridge work). As your strength and flexibility improves getting into the bridge position will be so much easier :) 

happy to hear that you are seeing improvement on your mobility, feel free to share your progress with us :) 

Matthew Walker

I had the same issue long ago. I could not do a bridge with elevated legs. I just started by putting yoga blocks against a wall and put my feet on those, then two yoga blocks, then I used a small table, then I got stall bars and gradually moved my feet up higher and higher. Also a regular set of stairs in your home is a good piece of equipment for this. 

Jennifer Marie

I borrowed the idea from another thread on this forum, but it's worked... a resistance band around a bar around shoulder height, and then looped over the hips, can help "pull" you up into bridge and support some of your weight there.

However, I recommend posting a video first, because some athletes need to stop before the actual bridge work for a little while to gain the mobility and strength necessary to do elevated bridge safely down the road. 

Stephanie Seckington

Hi all Im new to GB and just started a few weeks ago. One of my goals is to increase flexibility in back and work towards thoracic bridge. Just did the stretch programme and found it SO TOUGH! I am so tight in Thoracic and lumbar and need to massively work on this. What can you do if you don't have bars to do the exercises with bands? Also not sure if this is common but I suffered extreme headache and nausea both times i did this part of programme? Anybody else experience this? Thank in advance :)

Étienne Lajeunesse
1 hour ago, Stephanie Seckington said:

Hi all Im new to GB and just started a few weeks ago. One of my goals is to increase flexibility in back and work towards thoracic bridge. Just did the stretch programme and found it SO TOUGH! I am so tight in Thoracic and lumbar and need to massively work on this. What can you do if you don't have bars to do the exercises with bands? Also not sure if this is common but I suffered extreme headache and nausea both times i did this part of programme? Anybody else experience this? Thank in advance :)

Hi Stephanie,

You don't have to do all of the exercises in the beginning if it's too hard for you.  Stop where you feel it becomes too hard to keep good forms.  

To practice your bridge, you could just start by trying to touch the wall with your hands overhead while being back at it.  Slow and smooth will keep you from hurting yourself.

It's the same for your headache and nausea.  Many things could cause these effects (stiff muscles, injury, being upside down, illness...). So, try to not push too hard too soon.  And if it keeps happening I would invite you to check with your doctor.

Also, for more precise answers, send a video to the coaches to look at your form.  It will easier to help from there.

Hope it helps :)

Fiona Silk

Hi all, don't want to start a new thread, but I also find the bridge work at the end of the series really hard. It's partly due to my setup in my flat - my floor is slippery and whilst my yoga mat is not, I don't really trust it to hold if I do an elevated bridge. I am also stiff and generally unconfident about bridging! But I've decided that for the first few months I'll just do what I can. I have some matting to go in my spare room, which means that when I get that set up I should feel happier about the elevated bridges and maybe the walks (may take a while to get to that point though!). Hopefully that is an OK plan. I am not in any rush to do a bridge - mostly just want to start fixing my terrible shoulders :)

Étienne Lajeunesse
24 minutes ago, Fiona Silk said:

Hi all, don't want to start a new thread, but I also find the bridge work at the end of the series really hard. It's partly due to my setup in my flat - my floor is slippery and whilst my yoga mat is not, I don't really trust it to hold if I do an elevated bridge. I am also stiff and generally unconfident about bridging! But I've decided that for the first few months I'll just do what I can. I have some matting to go in my spare room, which means that when I get that set up I should feel happier about the elevated bridges and maybe the walks (may take a while to get to that point though!). Hopefully that is an OK plan. I am not in any rush to do a bridge - mostly just want to start fixing my terrible shoulders :)

Hey Fiona,

As you said, do what you can for your bridge.  But, as you get looser with some stretches (like elevated cat and inverted cat) you can try to start with a bit of wall walk/standing bridge on the wall.  Even if you're not completely confident try not to let your feet getting too far.  It's a minimum and it's a way to get more comfortable of extending into bridge and not slip on the floor:)

Fiona Silk

I can actually get into a bridge with my feet on the floor, so I have done that (not for the length of time on the video). I feel happy doing that on my yoga mat as the weight of my feet will stop me slipping! I try to push my chest towards my hands. Obviously this is less thoracic that it would be if my feet were elevated, but I feel happy to do short holds and the bridge push ups for now.

I think I will tape my mats to the floor of the spare room, so there is no chance of them moving. I just need to tidy all the stuff out first...!

Étienne Lajeunesse
3 minutes ago, Fiona Silk said:

I can actually get into a bridge with my feet on the floor, so I have done that (not for the length of time on the video). I feel happy doing that on my yoga mat as the weight of my feet will stop me slipping! I try to push my chest towards my hands. Obviously this is less thoracic that it would be if my feet were elevated, but I feel happy to do short holds and the bridge push ups for now.

I think I will tape my mats to the floor of the spare room, so there is no chance of them moving. I just need to tidy all the stuff out first...!

I didn't understand that ahah Well, hopefully taping your mat will work! :)

Jennifer Marie

Taping is a nice convenience. I've been known to push mats against a wall and use weight plates to brace them along the sides. It's quite the set up!