This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Upper Body

Started by Ananda Aisola, December 21, 2017 · 7 Replies · 258 Views

Ananda Aisola

Hi,

I am writing today here because I have reached a plateau in terms of the Upper Body exercises and am looking for advice as to what techniques people have used to reach the next level. For pushups I have been stuck at Step 8; PE2 (4x15 reps) and for Ground Rows I have been stuck at Step 7; PE2(4x12 reps). I have been at this level for close to 6 months and have been consistently performing the workout once a week, during this time. Have others had this problem and what can I do to get to the next level?
Thanks,

Ananda

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Ananda, at this point I would add one session more for pushup and rows, then if you can pass the plateau step back to one session per week.

Étienne Lajeunesse

Hi Ananda,

There are many threads on the forum that discuss about ways of how to overcome plaateaus.  Take a look and you could find what you need!  But listen to Alex first :)

Rayne-William Fitzgerald
23 hours ago, Étienne Lajeunesse said:

Hi Ananda,

There are many threads on the forum that discuss about ways of how to overcome plaateaus.  Take a look and you could find what you need!  But listen to Alex first :)

As referenced by the quoted post above. Here is an example... Overload, Load, Underload

Alessandro Mainente
23 hours ago, Étienne Lajeunesse said:

Hi Ananda,

There are many threads on the forum that discuss about ways of how to overcome plaateaus.  Take a look and you could find what you need!  But listen to Alex first :)

There are many possibilities in order to pass over plateaus:

-generally changing the weight it is an OPTION but we are talking about bodyweight work where intensity it was given by the leverage;

-change the rest of the set or the tempo of the reps BUT I prefer to hold these parameters fixed for now;

-the first solution for bodyweight training, which is something I have experimented in the last 6 years it is volume. this permits to hold tempo, rest and intensity. The result will be your brain learning a more efficient way to perform the exercise and it will be easier. For this purpose IF you hit the same results, I mean same effort all the sets you can add an additional set at the end of your workout.

Étienne Lajeunesse
13 hours ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

the first solution for bodyweight training, which is something I have experimented in the last 6 years it is volume. this permits to hold tempo, rest and intensity. The result will be your brain learning a more efficient way to perform the exercise and it will be easier. For this purpose IF you hit the same results, I mean same effort all the sets you can add an additional set at the end of your workout.

I totally agree on that! What helped me to break into plateaus is exactly that.  Adding an entire set after the last one of the element, with the same reps, was a game changer :)

Ananda Aisola

Thanks for the advice guys. From my understanding I have the option of either adding another session or an additional set? Should I choose to add an additional set but can't complete all of the required reps is this still effective?

Thanks,

Everett Carroll

Hey Ananda,

If you add an additional set, it is best to drop down a step or two first so that each set is the same number of reps or the same amount of time.