This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Low bridge inside out vs Mid bridge inside out

Started by Christopher Denzer, December 21, 2017 · 13 Replies · 114 Views

Christopher Denzer

Is the low bridge meant to be easier? I can do the mid bridge one fairly easily, but cannot do the low bridge version. In the low bridge version, when I shift my weight onto one arm to begin the rotation and step over, I cannot rotate on the side of my palm and get stuck. In the mid bridge version, I can turn fairly easily. Before anyone suggests doing the Thoracic Bridge series, I have been doing it for over a year. I cannot hold a bridge position for very long (unless elevated) and cannot do hip taps at all. A PT has told me I have bone spurs in my shoulders that make rotation very difficult in some positions and complete extension also problematic. I also have stupid-long gorilla arms.

Alessandro Mainente

Hey Christopher at this point a video review with both middle and lower bridge it is essential.

Rayne-William Fitzgerald

1. Mid bridge Inside out aught to be harder than the low bridge variant.
From the course material. Fitness: Introduction- Why these exercises in this order? (With emphasis added)

Quote

Why These Exercises in This Order?

In order to enjoy long term success with GST, increasing strength alone is not enough; you must also strive to increase your bodies’ ability to handle ever more neuromuscularly complex movements.

To this end, one of the primary focuses of the GB Foundation Courses is to engage in a constant evolution regarding your current exercise’s degree of neuromuscular activation or the constant evolution of your strength levels in terms of neuromuscular coordination.

It is important to remember that during these fundamental GST progressions we will always be moving forward to ever more neurologically complex exercises. (For example note that the progression of pushup variations to dip variations to HSPU variations to MPPr variations not only represents increases in strength but also increases in the degree of neuromuscular activation needed to correctly execute these exercises. )

A long time GB student perhaps best described GB GST training as “... a method of progressing from simple to complex exercises with ever increasing degrees of neuromuscular activation ...”

2. The bone spurs also mentioned in the first post. Depending on their location and size also maybe making the low bridge variant harder. (WebMD.com: Bone Spur overview)

Christopher Denzer

Here's a link to my bridge inside out attempts. Obviously, the low bridge inside out is a total fail. I am asking if anyone sees any mistakes I am making that are causing me to fail. 

 

 

Étienne Lajeunesse

Hey Christopher,

A coach would have better tips for you, but, as we can see, you lack some strength on your left arm and shoulder flexion to open up.  Elevating your feet will help you a lot to open your shoulders.  The TB series is your best friend here :)

Everett Carroll

Hey Christopher,

Can you post a video of or link to your Foundation 2 form checks for FL/PE12 and FL/PE13, along with their iMs? Looking at those drills first will be very helpful. 

Christopher Denzer
2 hours ago, Étienne Lajeunesse said:

Hey Christopher,

A coach would have better tips for you, but, as we can see, you lack some strength on your left arm and shoulder flexion to open up.  Elevating your feet will help you a lot to open your shoulders.  The TB series is your best friend here :)

Thanks, Etienne. I've been doing the TB series for about a year now, but haven't made much progress. I get a lot of shoulder pain in my left shoulder when I try to do any form of bridge, elevated or otherwise. 

Étienne Lajeunesse
14 minutes ago, Christopher Denzer said:

Thanks, Etienne. I've been doing the TB series for about a year now, but haven't made much progress. I get a lot of shoulder pain in my left shoulder when I try to do any form of bridge, elevated or otherwise. 

Have you seen a therapist for your pain?  For now, I would say to stop or regress the exercise to a simpler variation until you fix this.  Maybe Everett has something for you too.

Christopher Denzer

Hi Etienne:

I did see a PT, in fact. He took x rays and said I have bone spurs that limit rotation of my shoulder. His advice was simply to stop art exercises that required a large degree of rotation or have surgery. I guess i stubbornly held on to hope I could work around it. 

Christopher Denzer

Any not art.

Étienne Lajeunesse

@Christopher Denzer,

So I guess you don't have many choices about what you can do here.  I assume that you know what's best for yourself! Good luck and keep us posted :)

Christopher Denzer

Yeah, move to Canada and get decent healthcare.

Everett Carroll

Hey Christopher,

I reviewed your PE12 and PE13 videos (I hid the posting because that is Foundation Two material). Do you have videos of your iMs? I'd like to see those as well. 

Also, please listen to Etienne and stop training through pain. Listen to your doctor. If any of these exercises are painful then please hold off on training them until you can get the treatment you need. 

Christopher Denzer

I’ll get some video of this iM’s soon. Thanks, Everett.