This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Not doing every GST element?

Started by Kristiyan Donchev, December 20, 2017 · 3 Replies · 188 Views

Kristiyan Donchev

Hello good people :)

I will soon start training BJJ 3 times a week + weight sessions 3 times a week + GST training. I already tried doing it for a month, but it gets too much for me. What do you think about prioritising front lever, rope climb, straddle planche and hollow back press and maintaining everything else for 3-4 months. By maintaining I mean no more than 2-3 working sets, just to keep whatever gains I currently have. And after that, I prioritise everything else and maintain FL, RC, etc. 

My weight training sessions are mainly back squats, good mornings, cleans, snatches and push presses.

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Kristiyan, from my personal experienc with weightlifting I can say at 100% that taking of manna and side lever development reduces the amount of core conditioning. the core work it is by far much more important that general pulling strenght. the core it is the compartmetn which transfer the strenght from the lower body to the upper body. no stable progres could be made without a solid core.

Jin Liu

@Alessandro Mainente do you train oly weightlifting in addition to GST as well? If so, may I ask what your training schedule looks like?

Kristiyan Donchev
15 hours ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

Hi Kristiyan, from my personal experienc with weightlifting I can say at 100% that taking of manna and side lever development reduces the amount of core conditioning. the core work it is by far much more important that general pulling strenght. the core it is the compartmetn which transfer the strenght from the lower body to the upper body. no stable progres could be made without a solid core.

I will, after I prioritise pulling and pushing, i'm gonna hit manna and side lever hard, while I maintain everything else. Currently my mana and side lever are progressing relatively fast, while I'm still on hollow body rocks and will be for 2-3 months at least.