This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Scapular Shrugs: Shoulder position

Started by Riccardo Zanello, December 20, 2017 · 15 Replies · 367 Views

Riccardo Zanello

Hello,

while performing Scapular shrugs, should the shoulders stay neuural in respect to the torso (as explained in the Fundamentals Front Support position) - that is, neither lifted up towards the ears, neither held down - or should they come up towards the ears in the shoulder blade extended/protracted position (the upper part of the ROM)?

If I keep them neutral with respect to the body, I cannot really extend the shoulder out completely and separare the shoulder blades at their maximum distance. To do so, I need to push further and therefore have my shoulders moving up towards the ears. By doing so, though, it feels as if I lose the firmness and solidity given by keeping the shoulders in a neutral position.

I hope all of this made sense.

 

Thanks

 

R

 

Everett Carroll

Great question Riccardo. At first, only protraction and retraction are strictly graded. Though, since you're asking the question, that likely means you're probably ready to add a little more complexity to the movement.

In all planche work moving forward, you'll want to maintain as much protraction and depression as possible. Practice the depression during your scap shrugs by keeping your shoulders as far from your ears as possible throughout each set. 

Riccardo Zanello

Thanks Everett.

Do you mean the correct movement is keeping the shoulders down and FAR from the ears during BOTH phases of the shrug movement?

Thanks

R

Everett Carroll
On 12/21/2017 at 9:18 AM, Riccardo Zanello said:

BOTH phases of the shrug movement?

Yes, exactly. 

Riccardo Zanello

Thanks Everett!

By doing so though, I can protract my scapulas apart to a lesser degree than if I did elevate the homeruses during protraction, for obvious anatomical reasons.

Is it fine anyway?

Thanks

 

R

Everett Carroll

Hey Riccardo, 

Great work noticing that! Your attention to detail is spot on here. Now make one final adjustment: be sure to pinch your shoulder blades all the way together, even if that means sacrificing a little bit of depression. However, maintain as much depression as you can. Does this make sense? If so, please send in a video when you get the chance. 

Riccardo Zanello
4 hours ago, Everett Carroll said:

Hey Riccardo, 

Great work noticing that! Your attention to detail is spot on here. Now make one final adjustment: be sure to pinch your shoulder blades all the way together, even if that means sacrificing a little bit of depression. However, maintain as much depression as you can. Does this make sense? If so, please send in a video when you get the chance. 

Hey Everett, thank you for your availability.

I will make sure to do that.

My question was more relative to the protraction phase. Should I sacrifice maximum protraction to keep depression?

Thank you again

 

R

Rayne-William Fitzgerald
56 minutes ago, Riccardo Zanello said:

Hey Everett, thank you for your availability.

I will make sure to do that.

My question was more relative to the protraction phase. Should I sacrifice maximum protraction to keep depression?

Thank you again

 

R

When required to fully protract your scapula(shoulder blades). Do not sacrifice maximum protraction. You will need the strength through out the full range of motion developed for other portions of the "course material."

Everett Carroll

Rayne-William nailed it. Depress as much as possible WITHOUT sacrificing any protraction. 

Riccardo Zanello
13 hours ago, Rayne-William Fitzgerald said:

When required to fully protract your scapula(shoulder blades). Do not sacrifice maximum protraction. You will need the strength through out the full range of motion developed for other portions of the "course material."

 

11 hours ago, Everett Carroll said:

Rayne-William nailed it. Depress as much as possible WITHOUT sacrificing any protraction. 

To  sum it up:

Pinching the shoulder blades together + protracting them to maximum possible degree, while keeping the maximal depression possible . 

 

Thanks 

 

R

Bas Albinus
On 12/22/2017 at 10:41 AM, Everett Carroll said:

Hey Riccardo, 

Great work noticing that! Your attention to detail is spot on here. Now make one final adjustment: be sure to pinch your shoulder blades all the way together, even if that means sacrificing a little bit of depression. However, maintain as much depression as you can. Does this make sense? If so, please send in a video when you get the chance. 

Hi guys,

I've been on scap shrugs for ages as part of my rehab after shoulder surgery. I m still tight as hell with limited room in my weak shoulder. So I thought that's the reason I can't keep my scaps depressed at the bottom of the movement. From Everett's post I get that you have to sacrifice a lil depression to fully pinch your scaps,right?  

I'm also having a hard time locking the elbows throughout the full movement. They just want to slack a tiny bit at the bottom of the movement (pinching) -  as does the PPT. Any pointers what to focus on, what's top priority??

(I ll try to get a decent video to upload later today for more specific feedback)

Alessandro Mainente

Priority is scapulae together and a straight arm. what type of surgery di you had?

Bas Albinus

Thanks Alex. I m working on it. It s easy when I don't worry about depressing the shoulders throughout the whole movement, though my elbows still want to bend a tiny bit each time. 

I had a labrum tear. Though the actual repair was done anterior I'm still having  a lot of tightness and occasional pain posterior (somewhat around Teres minor/subscapularis). When pinching the scaps I can feel(and hear) sth grinding. It doesn't hurt, but feels like the fascia is glued to sth and slightly tearing when I pinch my scaps. 

 

Alessandro Mainente
2 hours ago, Bas Albinus said:

Thanks Alex. I m working on it. It s easy when I don't worry about depressing the shoulders throughout the whole movement, though my elbows still want to bend a tiny bit each time. 

I had a labrum tear. Though the actual repair was done anterior I'm still having  a lot of tightness and occasional pain posterior (somewhat around Teres minor/subscapularis). When pinching the scaps I can feel(and hear) sth grinding. It doesn't hurt, but feels like the fascia is glued to sth and slightly tearing when I pinch my scaps. 

 

and this what I had suspected, the labrum tear with tight subscapularis leads to posterior shoulder capsule. what about if you increase the hands distance?

Bas Albinus
18 minutes ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

and this what I had suspected, the labrum tear with tight subscapularis leads to posterior shoulder capsule. what about if you increase the hands distance?

It gets easier with hands wider and forearms externally rotated.

Is that ok to do until scaps get stronger?

Here s a video of my sPL/pe1 with hands a shoulder width apart.

 

Alessandro Mainente

As I suspected, it is your posterior capsule. use a wider grip and try to reduce it time over time.