This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Narrowing down a Pain source

Started by Jennifer Marie, December 18, 2017 · 2 Replies · 73 Views

Jennifer Marie

Hi Coaches and fellow Athletes!

I'm seeing a physical therapist for this (and I have the clearance to do what I need to do as long as I'm not causing pain). This trouble is a little elusive though, so I'm hoping the hive mind of a vast forum may have some ideas, maybe someone who's experienced this.

As I've been recovering from an inflamed QL and distressed SI joint, I've been doing the stretch series comfortably (and with the physio's blessing).

Recently (about two months into recovery, and back/hip feeling much better) my middle splits have started giving me issues. I can't be sure if it's related to the other issue, but it's on the same side of the body.

On that injured side, I feel a sharp pull in the upper hamstring, close to, but not quite at, the sit bone when in pancake or its variations. The physio has been attacking hamstring and piriformus on that side with Graston and manual manipulation, trying to get to the root of this new pain. These techniques give me a day or two relief for the non-stretching discomforts of the QL issue (sitting/driving), but seemingly no progress for the new stretching mid splits pain.

This physio is usually right on the mark about things (he has a weightlifting/CrossFit coach on staff, so nothing I do surprises him) but we're struggling with getting to the root of this pancake pain.

Thoughts and ideas? 

Thanks,
Jennifer

Matthias Schwartz

Jennifer,

Just a shot in the dark from the Internets, so I could be way off, but given that both the low back and hamstring on that side are implicated, I would agree with your physio focusing on the piriformis on that side. It ties those areas together and can cause trouble in conjunction in both. I've also been through lots of QL fun and had good relief from glute/piriformis release/stretching (along with hip flexor release). I'd recommend manual rolling/digging with a lacrosse ball in the glute/piriformis daily (as long as you can tolerate it) as well as the good ol' piriformis stretch (which I'm sure you're doing already). In addition to the piriformis, I've found that giving some love to the glute medius, glute max (in that order) has helped me with the issue. Hope this helps.

Jennifer Marie

Thanks Matthias! Just getting a confirmation that it's probably the right track helps. At first, we'd focused on the back and the pelvis (which still needed some love anyway) but when that turned out to not be the source, I got frustrated. I loathe my foam roller, but I do have a lacrosse ball and a "supernova" massage ball from Rogue that I can use for stubborn spots. Thanks for that reminder!