This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

My traps and neck is tight. I do not know if I should continue GST.

Started by Chris Harvey, December 16, 2017 · 6 Replies · 233 Views

Chris Harvey

Hi all,

I have quit GST half years ago, due to many reasons. (lack of willpower...lack of time...feeling bad...)

Now I have more time and give higher importance to my health. I want to workout.

The problem is I do not know if I should do GST workout, due to my tight neck and traps.

After I do push or pull exercise, I can feel my neck and traps tighter, which is not comfortable. 

As my previous post said, I have winging scapula and unstable shoulder. I think my traps may need to compensate the movement.

I worried that if I push/pull exercise, my traps will be tighter and worsen my well-being. 

Any advice? Now I only do core and cardio exercise.

Thank you;)

 

Étienne Lajeunesse

Hi Chris,

Sorry to hear that.  Have you consulted a physio for your scap?

Do you have the Thoracic Bridge stretch series?  Doing it will surely help you for your tight neck and traps by stretching and strengthening them!

Pauline Taube

Hi Chris,

Sorry to hear about your issues. Firstly I highly recommend to get an in person assessment from a physio or other medical professional regarding your shoulders. 

As Étienne mentioned above, the TB course will be great in order to help your neck/traps tightness. I would recommend to add a couple stretches lightly for these every day. 

Giulio Pizzini

I have a history of tight traps and neck caused by years of poor posture at the desk and GST has improved things, especially the TB stretch serie

Alessandro Mainente

Generally speaking, the winged scapulae are a combination of one or more problems, serratus anterior it is the common one since when there is an interruption of the nerve innervating it the scapulae tends to assume the winged position.

You need further investigations. but with good probability, it is a serratus anterior weakness. 

 

Tanya Hill

Hi Chris, 

I am not a nutritionist by any means but maybe adding a some more magnezium into your diet would help. Recovery is so important I would definitely check with the physio. See if getting massages after training and taking ice baths (sounds horrible but works miracles) would help. 

Go easy with your training, there is no deal line. :)

Rayne-William Fitzgerald

For those that do not already know.

Winged scapula (aka: winging scapula) Sportsinjuryclinic.net

Quote

What causes winged scapula?

It is quite a common dysfunction of the shoulder as it is also associated with poor posture. It is known as winged scapula as the medial (inner) border of the scapula can appear to be wing-like on the back.

A winged scapula is associated with damage or a contusion to the long thoracic nerve of the shoulder and / or weakness in the Serratus Anterior muscle. If the long thoracic nerve is damaged or bruised it can cause paralysis of the serratus anterior muscle and winging of the scapular or shoulder blade. Damage to the nerve can be caused by a contusion or blunt trauma of the shoulder, traction of the neck and can also sometimes follow a viral illness.

 

The quote above and additional information is found at the sportsinjuryclinc.net web link provided.