This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Question about forward pike roll

Started by Christian Nogueira, December 16, 2017 · 8 Replies · 198 Views

Christian Nogueira

So I'm starting these next week and I have a question. Is this movement always done with locked arms? Allan Bower seems to demonstrate it with locked arms (except the very first rep where he bends them a bit) but I've also seen this move in GB facebook page demonstrated quite gracefully with bent arms.

Alessandro Mainente

Hei Christian, straight arms always.

Coach Sommer

Hi Christian,

The emphasis should be on maintaining straight, locked knees during the forward pike rolls.  

As a consequence of this leg position, at a minimum the arms will have to be nearly straight to accomodate the length of the straight legs and still reach the ground.  Straight arms are also acceptable.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Christian Nogueira

So this is my first attempt at this:

 

 

I expect to enjoy this element for a while. I do slight hop at the start and the knee is a bit soft throughout the movement. Any other pointers ?

Jeffrey Bittner

Hey Christian,

It looks like you're off to a good start. As you stand up, try to reach your hand further forward. Reaching further forward will help you to shift your body weight forward so that standing up with straight legs is easier.

Christian Nogueira

Hello Jeffrey,

Thanks for the tip, these are definitely harder than the straddle fwd roll.

Christian Nogueira

Here’s another attempt:

 

I think I’m folded better at the exit, but I feel maintaining the compression inside the roll still needs lots of work.

 

Jeffrey Bittner

Nice improvement @Christian Nogueira! You are doing a good job of reaching forward further. Be patient as you stand up. Stay leaning forward as long as possible.

Christian Nogueira

So I'm still working on this:

I think I understand what you're saying now. If I compare my roll to Allan's as he's coming up he stays looking at the floor for way longer, letting the momentum carry him up. In my roll I try straighten into standing as soon as I punch the floor, which always leaves me slightly unbalanced in my heels. Excited to try this next time.