This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

"F3.5" - An idea instead of F7

Started by Callum Muntz, December 14, 2017 · 5 Replies · 263 Views

Callum Muntz

G'day all,

Thought I'd run this by the forum to see what you all thought - noting someone else might have already thought of it.

I've started structuring my Foundation training in a new way that sees every element trained every workout, in an F7 fashion. However, I still follow the old A/B day split (now Upper and Core/Lower) and if the exercise isn't on the day's rotation, I do 50% volume for them.

I'll show an example below to further explain, but I have found it to be good for two reasons - first, greater volume per week without the somewhat taxing F7 regime; and secondly it gives you something mid workout that isn't terribly difficult (an exercise at 50% volume) which gives you a little psychological boost as you work through.

Anyway, thought I'd share the idea. Hope everyone's training is going well and you stick at it over Christmas (hardest time of the year to do so I think - especially while travelling)

 

Merry Christmas

Callum

 

Example - On a Upper Body Day

Front Lever - full sets/reps

Straddle Plance - full sets/reps

Side Lever - 50% reps, full sets

Manna - 50% reps, full sets

Single Leg Squat - 50% reps, full sets

Hollow Back Press - full sets/reps

Rope Climb - full sets/reps

Étienne Lajeunesse

It's an interesting idea Callum. 

I'm wondering however if it won't lead to overtraining over time even at 50% of the reps?  We still need recovery between days.

Btw, FL is a core element, doesn't it need to be at 50% too?

Let's see what coaches have to say! :)

Rayne-William Fitzgerald

Once logged the, workout logging, program will recognize the suggested split as an F4/F3 or F4/F4 workout routine.

Here is what Coach Sommer has previously stated in the the course material. Fitness: Introduction- Individual Recovery Rates Varies

Quote

When beginning Gymnastics Strength Training (GST) the majority of people will find a four day/week training schedule the most effective; not only in terms of scheduling, but also in terms of their bodies’ ability to recover from the workouts.

However as individual recovery ability can vary widely; there is also a significant percentage of the training population who will either benefit from less work (the two or even one day/week schedule) or more work (the six day/week schedule).

Which of these schedules will be the most the effective for you will depend entirely your own personal recovery ability; which in turn is something which you will only discover thru experience.

Note that there is no intrinsic value in choosing one schedule over another; your choice should be solely based on which of the schedules best fits your own particular blend physical strengths and weaknesses. There is no benefit in forcing yourself to do that which you are not suited for.

Thomas Hanssen

Interesting how many days a week do you plan on doing this?  

Im a big fan on high frequency training, as long as you regulate the volume i think you will be fine.  

Christmas time is perfect for taking a deloading week:D

Leo Trinidad

Hi @Callum Muntz,

I have never thought or tried this workout schedule so I am not able to give feedback. Will let you know as soon as I can. Interesting! :)

Callum Muntz

Hey all,

At present I try do this three days per week, doing handstand and movement on other days.

In reality I neglect the handstand and movement, and more often than not get roped into doing some circuit or weight training with work mates.

Over a the years I've discovered my body responds to higher volumes, which means I generally need to balance just the right amount without going too far - which is the idea behind this. Doing every movement frequently, but a varying levels of intensity.

I've owned foundation since it first came out and read Sommers' information numerous times, and always tried to monitor how I respond to different frequencies (Anne also watched as the program has evolved to what it is now). 

I'll keep you posted, but I like it this far - part of that like it's because not every element trained on any given day is 'high intensity' and almost gives you mini breaks during your overall workout.