On any movement it seems almost impossible to move from 4×12r to 5×12r to 5×15r. What are some methods people have used?
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
How to get from 4×12r to 5x15r
Started by Jeffrey Mailly, December 14, 2017 · 11 Replies · 362 Views
Sometimes I'd go beyond either 12r or even 15r the first set, then reduce back down to 12r the subsequent sets. Then gradually increase the number of sets with higher reps. I find it helpful for the body to gradually adapt to higher reps. Sometimes your last set may not even have 12r, and that's completely fine. It's an cyclical process with an upward trend.
Thanks Jin. I think I've had the wrong approach. I didn't really think about it and now I am. The smiley's are a bit misleading when judging a workout sometimes. I've heard of others on the Forums trying that kind of approach that you mentioned so I think I need to just implement it in my training. So for example if I can do 5x12r but not 5x15r - then I might try something like 13,12,12,12,12 and then 13,13,12,12,12 and so on? It just seems like such a snails pace but I'm willing to do whatever I can to move on from Pushups lmao.
I'm stuck on 4x12r for Pushups and have been for months. Time to be smarter about it.
I Jeffrey,
I, also, often try to add a complementary set at the end. If I can do one more set of a step, I feel ready to move on. If not, it helps to break plateaus too. It's one of many ways to do it. Be creative with that ![]()
@Étienne Lajeunesse so you would go from 5x12r to 6x12r before moving on to 5x15r?
4 minutes ago, Jeffrey Mailly said:@Étienne Lajeunesse so you would go from 5x12r to 6x12r before moving on to 5x15r?
Exactly and that's how I got there. Now I am at 4x15 but so close to 5sets!
I might try that. Thanks for the advice. What are you considering mastery then - 6x15r?
Just now, Jeffrey Mailly said:I might try that. Thanks for the advice. What are you considering mastery then - 6x15r?
Yes and no, I do it just to be 100% sure, but I don't start getting crazy if I don't get exactly 6 x15. You know what I mean?
There is a wealth of advice on the topic in this thread:
Hi Guys,
i haven’t posted for a while but I’m having some success with the following;
If I have achieved 5 x 9 for example I’ll go up to 4 x 12 but my actual sets might look like 12,12,9,6. These reps are done with perfect form. However when the form starts to go on set three at 9 reps, I’ll have a ten second rest or less and complete the set again with perfect form. Same with set 4. Complete the set with small bites of perfect form after a very short break and embrace the discomfort. I still have slow ish progress but I add perfect reps every session. I think my muscles learn to build what I’m asking to them to build. In addition I’ll always do a 5th set in the same fashion, never 4. Don’t just stop when you can’t do anymore. If you do, you miss an opportunity to improve by pushing and completing the set after a short break. After all, the Body has to know what your asking it to do. I share everyone’s frustration with these, I can also perform what I believe to be far superior feats but these lower levels burn like hell. Treat them like brushing your teeth and just get them done. You will move on if you push hard and ask your body’s to do more than it can.
12 hours ago, Steve Parris said:Treat them like brushing your teeth and just get them done.
I love that comparison… learn how to love doing them, and if not, do them anyway :-)
What works for me is making sure I master every single progression than move to the next one.It is a slow process in my case ground rows as I'm not used to such a volume and short breaks. Hope that help