This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Vertical kneeling lunge on wall - not even close - what to do?

Started by ALLISON BENDER, December 14, 2017 · 5 Replies · 301 Views

ALLISON BENDER

My quads are so tight that I don't even get to the point where there is a hip flexor stretch.  I fidget and flail, with torso forward and hands on blocks. Next to me, even Orench looks like Gumby in this stretch.  Should I continue on and hope it gets better? Or, is there some sort of remedial quad stretch that I should try to master first? I watched the mobility tips & scaling video on this, but it assumes a certain level of quad mobility that I just don't have yet. I'm fairly mobile in other areas, generally hovering around the Grace-Orench continuum, though nowhere near Kira. When it comes to these quad stretches though, I've got a long way to go. Thanks in advance for any advice or tales of your own experience!

Pauline Taube

Hi Allison,

You may scale this Stretch by decrease the height of your foot. Instead of doing the stretch against the wall you may place your foot on an elevated surface such as a yoga block or a step. As your flexibility improves you may use a bench or even the wall. 

I hope this helps, feel free to post a pic/video in order to get further advices :) 

ALLISON BENDER

2 weeks later, after working my way up, vertical shin on wall! Ha!! Got it. Now, on to the real stretch. Thank you! :-)

Luke Searra

Well done Allison! Feel free to share and post pictures of your progress!!!

Tyler Smith

Same deal here. I’m making progress (I think), but particularly with regards to vertical leg knee lunge, when the front leg is straight, I’m not even close. I’m fact, I cannot get my front leg straight. Thoughts?

Alessandro Mainente

It is a matter of time and patience, bent legs mean tight calves. think that you walk all the day and you never put the calves in a stretched position! probably adding a daily work for calves is the solution for you.