Question about planche progression

Started by Olle Linge, March 28, 2010 · 3 Replies · 3,214 Views

Olle Linge

Hi,

I've been working on my planche for quite a while now (a year or so, but not very actively until the last four months or so). I've completed two eight-week cycles with 6x10 and 6x12 seconds of advanced tucked planche. I can't say the last set is easy now, but I can do it with good form. In addition to this, I've also been doing pseudo planche push-ups twice a week for the last cycle.

I've read a lot about injuries and over training, which is why I've waited to move on to straddle planche. Would you say I'm ready to do that? If it's any help, I'm 26 years old, 178 cm and 76 kg.

If the answer is yes, moving on to a straddle planche should be okay, then my second question is how to start. I'm not very flexible (more flexible than the average person perhaps, but less flexible than anybody who really cares about flexibility) and the few times I've tried, even beginning a straddle planche has felt impossible.

I feel that the step between the advanced tucked planche and the straddle planche is very, very big. Is there any way to overcome this? Are there other exercises I could add that would make the transition easier? Or is it just that I need to try really hard for a while before I "get it"?

In short, any suggestions for how to bridge the gap between advanced tucked planche and straddle planche would be very much appreciated!

Blairbob

Spotting helps. Use a self spotting rig or device. Get one of those yoga/swiss balls and try a straddle planche lean on it bouncing/wiggly on it to be somewhat unstable.

As well, you can practice from a handstand, straddle your legs and lower to straddle planche.

How long can you do an advanced tuck planche for?

Someone has suggested before to start with a bent leg straddle planche before. I've never tried this method though.

Joshua Naterman

You CAN do a slow extension into the straddle, but with your current numbers I'd say no. You are going to experience a drastic increase in the stress on your elbows and shoulders due to vastly decreased leverage. I personally think you're at too high a risk of injury.

You are doing good work with the 6x12, but if you're doing that with good form it's time to start doing 5 sets of 14-15 seconds. When you can do that with good form for a few weeks, it's time to start working on 4 sets of 15-20s. When you can do that it's time to start on 3 sets of 20-25s. When you can do that it's time to work on a 4th set. When you can do that, you should be able to do 3-5 sets of 20-30s with perfect form. When your form is perfect for those, you'll be safely ready to start moving out into the straddle.

You are making fantastic progress, so keep it up!!!

Olle Linge

Thanks to both of you for your feedback!

Since I'm prepared to spend extra time to avoid injuries, I'm going to follow Slizzardman's suggestions and keep working on the advanced tuck and increasing the time for each set. Then, when I've increased the time satisfactorily, I'll see if I'm ready to begin with the straddle, making use of Blairbob's tips.

I'll report back in a cycle or two and tell you how it turned out!