This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Key stretches for 8+ hours of desk per day

Started by Felipe Garcia Rosa, December 10, 2017 · 11 Replies · 514 Views

Felipe Garcia Rosa

Hey there,

Wanted to ask coaches for key stretches I should be doing during my  time at the office to avoid loosing progress on stretch series.

I work 12 hours per day and feel tight specially in my hamstrings/piriformis after I finish work.

Any ideas on light stretches for hamstrings?

thanks!

Feli

Étienne Lajeunesse
59 minutes ago, Felipe Garcia Rosa said:

Any ideas on light stretches for hamstrings?

Hi Felipe,

I'm not a coach here but the first exercise that comes to my mind is the pike. Simple and effective.

Let's see what they say!

Everett Carroll

Nice suggestions Michael. Thanks for hooking Feli up with those B-)

Felipe Garcia Rosa

Thanks for sharing Mike. Will take a look at those :) 

Felipe Garcia Rosa

Thanks for sharing Adrian. Actually will quote @Alessandro Mainente

On 5/4/2017 at 7:41 AM, Alessandro Mainente said:

The sofa variation it is ok.

For you question Daniel, I generally suggest inserting stretch every 1.5/2 hours work of desk, since you are holding the wrong posture for hours you need to balance it more frequently.

Muscles which must be stretched for desk work: quads and hips flexors, hamstring, little pec, lats, chest and traps.

muscles which must be strengthened: erector spinae, middle and lower traps.

And if ok ask within this post. Great list there for muscles to be stretched and strengthened btw.

You gave some specific stretches for the following muscles: quads and hips flexors, hamstring here:

On 4/21/2017 at 2:43 PM, Alessandro Mainente said:

HI Jonas due to the nature of the desk work where you tend to bend forward the most horrible and wrong thing it is to bend backward after some hours. my suggestion is what follows:

1a-calf and basic quad stretch: FSSSE6 , 2 minutes

1b-seiza for 2 minutes

2-basic hips flexor stretch: FSSSE21 : 2 minutes each leg

3-hamstring: FSSSE24. do this variation back to the wall. put the feet about 30-35 cm in front of the wall. lean back until you reach the wall with your butt, bend a bit the knees (10-15°) and lean forward. 2' minutes

It is imperative to follow this order.

For the little pec, lats, chest and traps, I guess table rocks would address chest and little pec, but for lats and traps what do you suggest?

Lastly, on strengthening erector spinae, middle and lower traps, would table rocks serve as an all in one move for that purpose?

Thanks!

Alessandro Mainente

Hey Felipe I do not know if you are following the foundations and the thoracic bridge course but the later HBP IM elements of F3 - F4  and the last elements fo thoracic bridge course correspond to your necessities.

Felipe Garcia Rosa

Thanks for sharing Michael!

Wictor Gradin

Hello and thanks for a great thread!
Was just what I was looking for. This forum delivers again!
Just one question that might be stupid but bear with me.
 

What is the difference between little pec and the chest? I guess that little pec is short for pectoralis minor? And then the chest muscles are pectoralis major and minor? Or have I missed something?

 PecMajorMinor.jpg.d7e97b3031cf193f5d449eea4e3fda64.jpg

Thanks!

Alessandro Mainente

The pectoralis major who has 2 heads act into a mobile element like the upper arm producing adduction and internal rotation BUT not direct work on the scapulae.

The pectoralis minor acts into the skeletal process of the scapulae so it has no rules on the arm movement BUT in the scapulae tilt.

If you need to continue to talk about shoulders please move the discussion in the thoracic bridge work so that all the students can benefit from it.